Dr. Joey
Dr. Joey, Board Certified
Experience:  15 yrs in practice, specialist canine/feline medicine
20970409

I am thinking taking my cat to my mothers for 3-4 days it is

Customer Question

I am thinking taking my cat to my mothers for 3-4 days it is a 1.5 hour car journey is this a good idea?Thank you
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 3 years ago.

Dr. Joey :

Hello I am Dr. Joey. Thanks for trusting me to help you and your pet today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 15 years of experience. I look forward to working with you.

Dr. Joey :

Is Inca a cat that is used to driving? Even if not she is still young enough that this can be seen as an adventure. Sure it will be stressful for her. If your mother has cats then I recommend keep the cats separated during your stay or at least for the first 3 days.

Some cats are not good travelers. That means there may be some vocalization during the entire journey. Some cats eliminate in their carriers during the travels. Unfortunately there are not any good over-the-counter products to alleviate this stress. I have traveled countless times with my cats and have one that is a particularly bad traveler. I use a sedation drug to help him have a better trip, but this you must get from your vet.

Dr. Joey :

I am not sure what questions, in particular, you have about this upcoming travel.

JACUSTOMER-34gtptr8- :

I have only taken Inca on a short journey to the vet before.My mother has no cats in the house.What sedative do you recommend?Thank you.

Dr. Joey :

If you can contact your veterinarian then I recommend using acepromazine if this is a long journey. However, if she seemed to do fine on the shorter journeys, then you probably will not need sedation. I only recommend this if she is healthy and has severe anxiety, possibly elimination while in a car. Over-the-counter the only thing I could recommend you try is diphenhydramine (Benadryl) which is an antihistamine and then you give only about one-fourth of the tablet about an hour prior to travel. This has perhaps some drowsy side effect and that is it.

Dr. Joey :

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Dr. Joey :

Please keep me posted. I am always happy to answer followup questions. You can reply to this question at any time to submit a followup. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today. If there’s anything else I can do, let me know – it’s been a pleasure working with you and I hope to assist you again soon! Kindly submit a rating as you exit our chat.

Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 3 years ago.
Hi Steve,
I am just following up from our conversation the other day. How is Inca doing? Is there anything else that I can help with?

Cheers,
Dr. Joey