Dr. Dan
Dr. Dan, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  12 years of experience with domestic and exotic cats, PLEASE rate my service when satisfied.
17018043

i put flea drops on my daughters eight week old kitten at 3.00

Customer Question

i put flea drops on my daughters eight week old kitten at 3.00 this afternoon he is now shaking and not stopping I washed the cat and gave him some milk about 10 min ago but still shaking what can I do
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Dan replied 3 years ago.
Hello!

Thank you for your question, I'm Dr. Dan and I'll try to help you.

What did you wash him with when you gave him a bath?
Is he having any other symptoms besides the shaking?
Can you tell me what flea medication you used?

Dr. Dan
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I just washed him in warm water no other symptom front line but it was foe my dog only a tiny bitsmaller then a pea was put on him

Expert:  Dr. Dan replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for the information. Since Frontline is not evenly distributed throughout the vial ( one drop may have all the drug and the other drops have none) then likely this kitten was overdosed. What you need to do at the moment is wash him again but use a degreasing dish soap like Dawn to remove most of the medication from his skin. Then at that point you need to monitor him. If his shaking worsens or he starts vomiting or refuses to eat he needs to see the vet for supportive care. Most of the time using the degreasing soap takes care of the problem and within a few hours he'll be feeling better.

I hope this helps, if not please feel free to ask more questions.
Dr. Dan
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

thank you very much for your help we have just finished washing him he is still shaking but drinking milk thank you once again

Expert:  Dr. Dan replied 3 years ago.

Be careful with the milk unless it's kitten milk replacer, more than 75% of cats are lactose intolerant. If he starts with diarrhea or vomiting we won't know if it's the drug or the milk. I'd recommend tuna juice, or beef/chicken broth. Dr. Dan