Dr. Joey
Dr. Joey, Board Certified
Experience:  15 yrs in practice, specialist canine/feline medicine
20970409

My 7 year old male neutered cat has a long term recurrent problem

Customer Question

My 7 year old male neutered cat has a long term recurrent problem of having a really pooey bottom after doing his business outside. It is hideous. The poo is smeared all over his back end and he has worn the fur away I suspect from rubbing his bottom on the ground. He does eventually clean himself but not before he has come inside on the tables,chairs etc. he doesn't appear to be over grooming either. I have tried worming,his diet is good ,he is a relaxed friendly cat but I am now at my wits end.. Could behave a bowel problem? Yesterday I think there may have been a bit of blood
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 2 years ago.

Dr. Joey :

Hello I am Dr. Joey. Thanks for trusting me to help you and your pet today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 15 years of experience. I look forward to working with you.

Dr. Joey :

What a frustrating issue! I do think you are correct to suspect she has a bowel problem that is contributing to her having loose or sticky stools. IF she has longer hair as well, then this makes it easier for a looser stool to get trapped in her hair.

The deworming was an excellent first step, but it is unusual for an adult cat to contract parasites that cause bowel problems. Instead, I worry that she may have another issue such as inflammatory bowel disease, organ issue (such as liver issue or pancreatitis) or an atypical infection in her digestive tract. The best recommendation for her is to have your veterinarian do an examination followed by some testing (cbc and chemistry profile with urine and electrolyte check, stool check). If everything is normal then an xray is indicated to ensure she did not swallow something that is trapped in her system and unable to pass through (I have seen more ingestion of hair bands in the past year than I can remember...silly cats).

Dr. Joey :

In the meantime, you can always do a trial with administering bismuth subsalicylate solution which you may purchase at any pharmacy for people. Give no more than 0.5 ml (1/2 cc, 1cc = 1 ml) every 12 hours. This can only help and cannot hurt.

Dr. Joey :

As well, having your veterinarian shave the hair around her anus can aid in not having stool get trapped in this area. If you have clippers you use for her at home, then you can do this yourself, but please do not get hurt if she does not like this.

Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 2 years ago.

You appear to be unavailable for a live chat or we are having a difficult time connecting. I am at a point I need to know what questions you have. We can continue our dialog in this setting.

I hope that the information I provided has been helpful.

Please remember to select REPLY TO EXPERT if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or were expecting a different type of answer.

My goal is to provide the best answer possible prior to you leaving a feedback rating.