Dr. Susan
Dr. Susan, Veterinarian
Experience:  8 years of clinical experience with specialty in veterinary pain management, urology, and geriatrics
25524280

My Siamese cat developed overnight a 1 inch bald patch on one

Customer Question

My Siamese cat developed overnight a 1 inch bald patch on one leg. It does not seem to trouble him what should I do
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Susan replied 3 years ago.

Dr. Susan :

Hi, I'll help you with your question today.

Dr. Susan :

A bald spot that occurred overnight could be from trauma (hair got ripped out) or from excessive licking. Cats can do a significant amount of grooming in the hours that we are sleeping, and in the time of one evening we can see bald spots or even skin lesions break open.

Dr. Susan :

At this point, I think it is best just to monitor it. If he continues to pay attention to the spot, or if it increases in size, I recommend having him evaluated by a vet.

Dr. Susan :

I would start with a physical exam and a skin scraping to look for external parasites.

Dr. Susan :

They can also take a hair sample for fungal culture.

Dr. Susan :

If he leaves the area alone, it will still take at least a month until you notice much hair growth.