Dr Scott Nimmo
Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinary Surgeon.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

A stray cat came in to our garden about a month back. It did

Customer Question

A stray cat came in to our garden about a month back. It did have a slight cough and sneezed - which does seem to have eased off. The bad weather has driven it into our conservatory. It is eating well. We have two cats of 13 and 15- which we are keeping away from it at the moment. This morning I noticed a bit of a runny nose. Do cats have colds or is this cat flu. What can we do please
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 3 years ago.

Scott Nimmo :

Hello and welcome, my name is Scott and I am an experienced small animal veterinary surgeon, I will be very pleased to work with you today and will try my best to answer your question to your satisfaction.

Scott Nimmo :

Can you tell me ... Have you any rough idea how old this stray cat is? { young, middle aged, or geriatric }

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The cat looks middle aged. The only other 'symptom' is that it does sound like it has a blocked up nose at times.

Hello again Debbie and thanks for getting back to me.

I have worked out an answer for you, please read it through and see what you think ...

1. In answer to your question, the odds are that what you are seeing is chronic cat flu, this is very common in stray and feral cats. The symptoms can vary and it can be a slight moderate or severe disease. You would be looking at things like coughing, sneezing, runny eyes, or a runny nose. As this is a viral disease it tends to come and go throughout life but if the cat is now well looked after by you then the chances are that the problem will remain slight.

2. What to do about it? If your other cats have been vaccinated and it is up to date then they would be at very little risk. Otherwise all you an do is to try the stray cat on a course of antibiotics and see if it's health can be improved before you introduce them. The disease can only be passed if you are seeing active symptoms.

I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you.

Regards,

Scott