Dr Scott Nimmo
Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinary Surgeon.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

Hello, please help me I am very worried. My 10month old male

Customer Question

Hello, please help me I am very worried.
My 10month old male cat, Biscuit has been acting strange.
He is eating, drinking and using his litter but he seems to have lost all energy.
Normally he is very hyper and gets up to all sorts of mishief, climbing up on surfaces and such. Although now all he seems to do is lie down and sleep without even reacting (biting and scratching when I stroke him) like usual.
My mother was ocer for xmas and sneakily fed him scraps off her plate and he is a house cat who never leaves home, but iver xmas i took him to two different houses for three days each where he was scared of the new environment. Ever since he's been back home (three days ago) he has been like this.
I also had him eating soft food for about three weeks and changed him back to hard food since we have been back, but still he seems so sad, please help me.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 2 years ago.

Scott Nimmo :

Hello and welcome. My name is Scott and I am an experienced small animal veterinary surgeon, I will be very pleased to work with you today and will try my best to answer your question to your satisfaction.

Scott Nimmo :

Can you tell me where there any other cats in the housed where you visited?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No, no other cats or pets
Hello again Annabelle and thanks for the quick reply.

Sorry to hear about Biscuit's problem, however I have worked out an answer for you, please read it through and see what you think ...

What you should do, just to be on the safe side is have a vet check him over sooner rather than later.

I say this because : While the symptoms you describe would not allow me or any other vet to pin this down to any one particular disease via the internet I would say from the fact that he has is very lethargic that it is possible that your cat is running a temperature and so may be in the grip of some kind of infection. What you are seeing is very unlikely to have been directly caused by stress related to his recent travels. However stress may have reduced his immune system a bit and so made an infection more likely, perhaps a low key chronic infection which he had previously.

I normally like to suggest home remedies if I can do this safely but in your case I think it is not worth the risk as it could well be that antibiotics or other prescription drugs would be what is needed if your cat is indeed running a temperature, but you should be aware that other diagnosis are also possible.

I am sorry I cannot safely give you any more specific advice via the internet.

I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you.

Regards,

Scott