Dr. Bob
Dr. Bob, Veterinarian
Experience:  35 years in practice,
18324312

WE have 2 14 year old cats and they have suddenly started scratching

Customer Question

WE have 2 14 year old cats and they have suddenly started scratching our leather furniture even thought they hjave 2 scratch posts
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 3 years ago.
Hello, I'm Dr. Bob.
I'm sorry to read of your cats' behavior change toward your leather furniture. Cats are, by nature, highly unpredictable creatures. That's part of their charm in most instances, however, this time something needs to be done. There really is no way to tell why they've suddenly developed this bad habit, but an answer that wouldseem close to ideal for you all is a product called "SoftPaws". These are soft, but tough, nail covers that are applied to the claws using a super glue product supplied in the kits. Your veterinarian can apply these for you, or you may be able to apply them yourself, at home (depending on your cats' cooperation, of course!). They need to be replaced individually as time goes by and they come off, but this is usually one nail at a time, and cn be done quite easily at home in most cases.
You can read about and purchase SoftPaws online by going to www.SoftPaws.com. SoftPaws provide the best solution I know of to a situation like this humanely and at a reasonable cost. If you should have further questions, please let me know.
Kind regards,
Dr. Bob
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

This sounds a good suggestion but our cats are not always house cats more in Winter obviously. So when they go outside won't they be " defenseless" with no claws to fight with if needed

Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 3 years ago.
Hello again, Linda.
Actually, no, they will still have their claws, they will know they have their claws, and will most likely continue to stand their ground against any threat. The difference will be that they will be "shooting blanks" with their covered claws. This is not at all a bad thing since the adversary won't realize the difference. If a dog or another cat is seriously aggressive, the claws serve only as a bluff, and tiny sharp claws tend to infuriate the attacker, sometimes resulting in more severe, or even fatal, injuries to the cat. A true cat-killer dog is not deterred by mere claws, so neither the sharp uncovered claws nor the SoftPaws would provide much protection. Sometimes once the habit of clawing furniture is broken, they will not return to doing it after several weeks, and the SoftPaws can gradually be discontinued. But they must be watched closely in case they "relapse".
If i may be of any further assistance to you, please let me know.
Best regards,
Dr. Bob