Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of experience in small animal internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

Hi, my cat has had quite a few incidents if diahorrea , I have

Customer Question

Hi, my cat has had quite a few incidents if diahorrea , I have been to the vets quite A few times and they have given me prokolin, I have another cat, and have never had these problems, she's 8 months old .. But this seems to be an ongoing thing .. She is going to toilet every 30 minutes and is not drinking , she seems a bit lethargic too .. Sleeping most of the day ? What do you recommend I do
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is Dr. Peter I am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions to be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- Is Missy strictly indoors?
2- Has she been dewormed?
3- Did she get into anything or eat something out of the ordinary?
4- Is she lethargic?
5- Any other symptoms?

There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hi, no she's not strictly indoors , although she hasn't gone out since yesterday, she didn't go outside the garden , so hasn't eaten anything other than Felix kitten food which is her usual food , she's fully upto date on both worming and deflead, she hasn't eaten anything unusual , this has happened quite often since I've had her, and yes she's slept most of the day , so is a bit lethargic, only other symptoms is diahorrea , and not drinking anything
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
1- Do you still have Pro-kolin?
2- To make sure we are speaking of the same medication this is Pro-kolin enterogenic, correct?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hi , yes I still have Prokolin, and yes it is that one , although it's half used so not sure if that's still ok to use ?
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
Sophie, diarrhea as you may already know is not a disease but a manifestation of a problem either in the gastrointestinal tract or a systemic disease. In a young cat like Missy common causes are: Infections, ingestion of a foreign body, intestinal parasites, dietary indiscretion, etc. This is what you can do:

1- Do not give things like Pepto Bismol or imodium.
2- No food or water for 8-12 hours, need to give gastrointestinal tract time to rest. Then, offer small amount of water followed by a diet of rice (50%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (50%) until the stool is back to normal then wean back into regular diet.
3- Start her on Prokolin at label directions.
4- If after doing the above you do not see improvement within 24-48 hours she will need to be seen by your family veterinarian for a hands on examination.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back. I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter