Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats and am happy to discuss any questions you have.
60269376

What are the symptoms of an overactive thyroid?

Customer Question

Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 3 years ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

We would be suspicious of an overactive thyroid in a cat if they were showing increased thirst and urination; weight loss (or failure to gain) despite a ravenous appetite; an elevated heart rate (>240 beats per minute; and if there was the presence of a thyroid goiter (not visible in all cats though). Further to this, some hyperthyroid cats can show behavior changes (ie grumpy, shorter tempers, etc), loss of hair/coat quality, they can overgroom, and we can see peripheral neuropathies leading to a dropped hock (example)when standing and/or walking.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. Thank you and hope to see you again soon! : )