Dr. Joey
Dr. Joey, Board Certified
Experience:  15 yrs in practice, specialist canine/feline medicine
20970409

could cats get cold sore? my cat lips looks pinkish and bu

Customer Question

could cats get cold sore? my cat lips looks pinkish and burn!
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 3 years ago.

Dr. Joey :

Hello I am Dr. Joey. Thanks for trusting me to help you and your pet today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 15 years of experience. I look forward to working with you.

Dr. Joey :

Cats do not get cold sores in the sense that we do. However, they can get lip lesions. The most common are eosinophilic granuloma plaques (here are some pictures: http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?A=656) which are often related to allergy to food bowl, fleas or perhaps viral (herpes virus). They are quite painful and really need to be seen by his veterinarian for therapy. They respond quickly to steroids.

Dr. Joey :

In the meantime, consider using a different type of food bowl (if using plastic switch to glass or porcelain), and clean the bowls regularly of all food. Make sure he does not have fleas especially if he goes outdoors, and if seen then he needs effective monthly flea control.

Dr. Joey :

Please let me know your questions!

Dr. Joey :

I have not received any reply from you and worry that you cannot see my responses above.

Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 3 years ago.

You appear to be unavailable for a live chat or we are having a difficult time connecting. I am at a point I need to know what questions you have. We can continue our dialog in this setting.

I hope that the information I provided has been helpful.

Please remember to select REPLY TO EXPERT if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or were expecting a different type of answer.

My goal is to provide the best answer possible prior to you leaving a feedback rating.