Dr Christie
Dr Christie, veterinarian
Experience:  Over 7 years of practice
16703648

Hello my name isXXXXXm worried about my cat - she is behaving

Customer Question

Hello my name isXXXXX worried about my cat - she is behaving rather strangely; she's going to the toilet (peeing) in places she knows she shouldn't and right in front of us. she looks visibly worried and keeps doing it. After appearing to strain for a minute or so she only leaves behind a tiny drop of fluid; the most recent deposits of which have had a slight pink tinge in them and dont smell like regular pee from a cat. Trying to get her to a vet but it's a nightmare finding an appointment on a sunday near chelsea where we are.
Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX appreciated - I'm not sure if she's in pain and needs to be seen quickly or if it's something that will pass.
Thanks again
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr Christie replied 2 years ago.

Dr Christie :

This is Dr. Christie. I am a licensed veterinarian and would like to try to assist you!

Dr Christie :

I am sorry your kitty is having a problem today!

Dr Christie :

How long has she had this behavior?

Dr Christie :

How old is she? Is she spayed?

Dr Christie :

Is she eating and drinking normally?

Dr Christie :

Any vomiting?

JACUSTOMER-ipzvehaw- :

hello dr christie, thank you for your prompt response.

JACUSTOMER-ipzvehaw- :

she is approximately 14 years old, the behaviour only started today less than an hour ago. I have noticed her doing the same thing once before around 9 months ago but not apart from that. She is spayed (according to battersea cats homs where we adopted her from).

JACUSTOMER-ipzvehaw- :

there may be a slight decline in her appetite in the last few days but nothing significant. She vomited on Friday, she vomits from time to time after eating and drinking water (maybe once every 2 weeks)

Dr Christie :

Thank you for the information! From what you are describing, her symptoms sound like feline lower urinary tract disease (FLUTD). It is possible she is experiencing an urinary tract infection (UTI), hence the increased frequency of urinating and the inappropriate urination. I am a bit worried about her straining and only leaving small amounts. In a cat, this can be the signs that she is dealing with bladder stones.

Dr Christie :

I would recommend she be seen today by a vet, for if she has bladder stones, it is possible one is stuck in her urethra, causing an obstruction and the straining.

Dr Christie :

Do you have any emergency clinics near you?

Dr Christie :

If she does have an obstruction, it needs to be relieved immediately!

JACUSTOMER-ipzvehaw- :

we were trying to find one but don't seem to be able to find one that's really feasible to get to. do you know any near the sloane square/chelsea area per chance? when i say straining - there's no indication of pain, just she is poised to go for 20 seconds or so with nothing coming out. she has also gone in the

Dr Christie :

Which state are you in?

JACUSTOMER-ipzvehaw- :

london, england

JACUSTOMER-ipzvehaw- :

chelsea and westminster. we've just managed to find a place nearby we're taking her there now. thank you so much for your time!

Dr Christie :

Ah ok, England

Dr Christie :

Oh ok, great!

Dr Christie :

Good, yes she definitely needs to be seen!

Dr Christie :

Please let me know how she does!

JACUSTOMER-ipzvehaw- :

thanks for your info and advice. the vet said she's very likely to have cystitis so has given us a course of antibiotics and an anti inflammatory to give her. hopefully we can get her to eat them relatively easily and all should be well! all the best adn thanks again. Josh

Dr Christie :

I am glad you got her to see your vet!

Dr Christie :

You are most welcome for the advice!

Dr Christie :

Here is a free article concerning FLUTD and feline cystitis if you'd like more information: http://www.petplace.com/cats/feline-idiopathic-cystitis-fic/page1.aspx

Dr Christie :

Please let me know if you have any further questions!

Dr Christie :

Best wishes for a speedy recovery for your kitty!

Dr Christie :

Please remember to rate my answer if i have been helpful!