Rebecca
Rebecca, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian for more than 30 years
11877925

My 10 month old male cat has starting urinating everywhere

Customer Question

My 10 month old male cat has starting urinating everywhere in the bath kitchen sides etc. But he is usually a very well trained cat. He also know as hes doing it that hes doin wrong. When hes finished he will run and hide. His behaviour has changed hes very quiet and very scared and jumpy. He used to spend loads of time with us on the settee but now hides away on fridge freezer. Nothing in our circumstances has changed so can only think it is medical. Hes already been to the vets but they say its psychological. But im sure its a uti maybe something is seriously wrong with him please help!
Category: Cat
Expert:  Rebecca replied 3 years ago.
I am sorry to hear about Binks. My name is Rebecca. I am a veterinarian, and will do my best to help.

I agree with you that there could be a physical reason for this behavior.

Is he neutered?

Does he go out, or is he an indoor cat?

Was a urinalysis done when you took him to your veterinarian?

This is an Info Request, to help me answer your questions.

Rebecca
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes hes neutered yes he goes out and no test were done and thanks for your reply x

Expert:  Rebecca replied 3 years ago.
Thank for the additional information. Good to know that he is neutered.

When he urinates is he spraying ( which is territorial marking) or just emptying his bladder? If he is spraying the urine will squirt straight out while he is standing, and will end up on a vertical surface like a wall. If he is just emptying his bladder, the urine will be on the floor.

How many litter boxes do you have? How many cats?

I always do a urinalysis first whenever a cat is urinating out of the litter box to look for blood, inflammation, infection, and crystals in the urine.

Cats will avoid their litter boxes if it stings or burns when they urinate. In addition to doing a urinalysis, I also check the anal glands for impaction or infection.

He should have at least two litter boxes if he is an only cat. At least one of the boxes should be open, no hood or cover. Adding an herbal product called "Cat Attract" to the litter can be helpful.

Let me know what else I can answer and help with.

Rebecca