Dr Scott Nimmo
Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinary Surgeon.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

Avoids touching of head

Customer Question

Avoids touching of head
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 3 years ago.

Scott Nimmo :

Hello and welcome. My name is Scott and I am an experienced small animal veterinary surgeon, I will be very pleased to work with you today and will try my best to answer your question to your satisfaction.

Scott Nimmo :

So you problem is that Freddie pulls back when you try to pat his head?

JACUSTOMER-p1ggthg3- :

yes he ducks down and away from contact

Scott Nimmo :

How long has this been going on?

JACUSTOMER-p1ggthg3- :

a few months, didn't do it before, and his head is warm to the touch

Scott Nimmo :

OK, please tell me how do his ears look, are they at all red inside? Any sign of any sort of ear discharge?

JACUSTOMER-p1ggthg3- :

ears are clear and no sign of discomfort, its as if he is afraid. i have never told him off etc, but he acts as if he is scare, being told off

JACUSTOMER-p1ggthg3- :

he is also afraid of going out of the house. unless i'm in view

Scott Nimmo :

Does he allow you to pet him elsewhere on his body and is affectionate then or is he generally afraid of you for no obvious reason.

JACUSTOMER-p1ggthg3- :

i can stroke him all over, other than paws, he hates having he nails clipped. but if cuddled up with me for a while i can them touch the paws without him drawing back

JACUSTOMER-p1ggthg3- :

he loves his chin and neck stroked

Scott Nimmo :

This is a strange one but cats can be like that { I am very much a cat person by the way } I have seen cats with painful neck problems, really a form of back pain where they do not like their heads touched but in your case he is fine if you stroke his neck so that would tend to rule that out.

Scott Nimmo :

The next thing to consider would be ear disease which is common in the cat but his ears look OK

Scott Nimmo :

Also consider dental disease, but he is probably too young for that. Cats with dental disease and neck pain do not like their heads touche dby the way.

JACUSTOMER-p1ggthg3- :

he was a present, lol for my 40th. he is the only cat i have had that doesn't go out, not keen on rubs between the ears, snd very aggresive towards my other cat. He is a gorgeous ginger tom but has catitude. he likes cuddles on his terms, but is so affectionate, loves contact, but ducks away from head contact

Scott Nimmo :

If there is nothing visually wrong in his head area and he is fine being stroked and cuddled elsewhere on his body then what you are seeing is just a quirk, his personal preference if you like. As long as things do not get worse in any way then this is probably nothing to worry about and you should just avoid touching his head. However you should bring it up with your vet at the next vaccination consult when he is being checke dover.

JACUSTOMER-p1ggthg3- :

ah fab thank you

Scott Nimmo :

If it was one of my cats I would not be too worried at present, all cats are different and have different preferences as you probably know ...

JACUSTOMER-p1ggthg3- :

yes, maybe just getting use to a different breed, more confidence and attitude lol

Scott Nimmo :

Ok I will press on now, but if I can ever advise you again at any future point then you can contact me directly via this link : http://www.justanswer.com/veterinary/expert-scottvet/
{ Please bookmark it }

JACUSTOMER-p1ggthg3- :

thank you