knstrand
knstrand, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a small animal veterinarian
71139618

my cat is losing fur in between her legs and it looks like

my cat is losing fur in between her legs and it looks like she has a lump, please can you help me, i don't know what to do. She is always licking it. She also has fleas, is not eating her food. She scratches a lot and cleans her fur a lot. I groom her as often as I can.please help me
Category: Cat
Expert:  knstrand replied 2 years ago.

knstrand :

Hello, I'm a small animal veterinarian and will try to help answer your question about Nala

knstrand :

How large of an area is she licking/loosing hair? Is it only around this lump or is the lump a part of a larger area?

knstrand :

Does Nala go outdoors?

Customer:

Hi, i noticed a hairless soft lump in between her legs when she was sitting. it's of a medium size and yes it's only around the lump.

Customer:

nala does go outside to go to the toilet, otherwise she prefers to stay indoors

Customer:

she has not eaten anything this morning and is also not asking for food like she normally does.

Customer:

last night, as i was taking a closer look at her fur, i noticed she also has fleas which makes perfect sense as she is scratches, licks her tail and generally looks uncomfortable.

knstrand :

Yes, absolutely the fleas are the underlying cause of all this.

knstrand :

I would recommend applying something like advantage or frontline which you can obtain from your local pet supply.

knstrand :

Are there any areas of crusts, scabs, or oozing?

Customer:

no none

knstrand :

Sometimes kitties develop a secondary pyoderma. However if there's none of this, it's probably just a simple reaction to the fleas

Customer:

she sheds a lot of hair too - this is becoming a bit of a problem. anywhere she sits, she leaves behind her fluff. is this part of the bigger picture?

knstrand :

After applying the flea product, it might take up to 2-3 months for the reaction to completely subside.

knstrand :

I'd also worry about the fleas being in your home now.

Customer:

are you saying that the lump is caused by the fleas?

knstrand :

You might want to contact an exterminator and see what they say.

knstrand :

Yes, likely the lump is caused by her irritating the area. Can you describe the lump a bit more - size, location?

knstrand :

Is it connected to the area of hair loss

Customer:

ok - the lump is deffinetly on the area of hair loss. she lets me touch it although sparingly, it feels soft and because she has no hair there, it looks pinkish in colour

Customer:

she walks normally, and she stretches fine too

Customer:

its of a medium size and it's noticeable when she is sitting upright, you can see a hairless lump hanging from in-between her legs.

knstrand :

She likely has a secondary pyoderma (skin infection) from licking due to the flea reaction. You would need to see her regular vet for antibiotics (or an injection) to treat this.

Customer:

is it very serious?

knstrand :

Their belly fat can look like a lump when it's hairless too.

knstrand :

No, but she should be seen next week and get some antibiotics, and get treated for the fleas.

Customer:

ok - these two names you have given me, advantage and frontline - what are they? and how do i use them?

knstrand :

These are topical flea products - you apply them to the back of the neck once monthly. Advantage covers for fleas only, and Frontline covers for both fleas and ticks.

knstrand :

Advantage kills existing fleas faster

Customer:

ok, and the antibiotics that nala needs - can you tell me how much they are likely to cost? i'm a student and if i can't afford them, is there an alternative?

knstrand :

Can you upload a picture of the hairless/lump area? If I can see it, I'd be better able to advise as to whether it's a true infection

Customer:

ok please bare with me.

knstrand :

If you took her to see a vet it would be an exam charge and the antibiotics - probably about $100 but this varies depending on your area.

Customer:

it's really difficult to take a photo :(

Customer:

i will do my best to describe it again

Customer:

when she is laying down - it looks flat- like there is nothing there. but you can see that she has lost hair considerably

knstrand :

No crusts or scabs? Does she seem painful if you push on it?

Customer:

no crusts or scabs, I'm going to try and push it now and see how she reacts

knstrand :

Again, sometimes the belly skin is just very very pink…. so when it's hairless the "roll" sort of looks like a lump. Esp if it's flat when she's laying down. It very well might be simple hairless alone

Customer:

she lets my touch it when she is lying down - she is very conscious that I'm touching it - it must feel a bit sensitive

Customer:

i managed to take a photo

Customer:

Full Size Image

Customer:

where i have lifted her leg, you should be able to see a pinkish area with less hair than normal. this is what I'm mostly concerned about

Customer:

she moves around with ease too - she lets me touch it and she doesn't seem to be in any immediate pain

knstrand :

Again, the only way to be sure the questionable lump region isn't an issue would be to have her checked by a vet.

knstrand :

But sounds like it might just be bare skin on her belly fat area

Customer:

ok - can you please also tell me how often i should be feeding her? i don't think she drinks enough water too- sometimes i give her milk because she seems to like it - but i don't really know what kind of a routine she needs at her age

Customer:

are you there?

knstrand :

Sorry about that delay...

knstrand :

Most kitties do well with twice daily feedings

knstrand :

The milk can upset their stomach. Unfortunately most kitties don't drink enough water, this can cause issues with their bladder health etc.

knstrand :

You can encourage her to drink water by using the kitty fountain bowls - running water bowl (encourages some kitties to drink)

knstrand :

You can also feed more canned food - which is 70% water. Some people even add a layer of water on top of the wet food which forces kitty to drink this water to get to the food.

Customer:

ok, thats great, i want to make sure that she's getting everything she needs. earlier you mentioned that the hairless lump could be due to the fleas, can you explain this to me so i understand why you think this could be a possibility?

knstrand :

The hairless itself is caused by the fleas because of skin irritation, over grooming and the hair falls off. The lump could be a skin infection which comes secondary to all this flea reaction - this would need antibiotics to fix. The lump could also be a fat roll that is simply hairless - it's really tough to know without seeing it.

Customer:

so, does this mean that once this is treated, her hair will grow back?

knstrand :

yes

knstrand :

might take 2-3 months tho

Customer:

the antibiotics - does this entail crushing them into her food?

Customer:

can i use this on Nala ? http://www.amazon.co.uk/DermOpt-antifungal-antibacterial-Conditioning-spray/dp/B0079FHJUI/ref=sr_1_11?ie=UTF8&qid=1391334799&sr=8-11&keywords=cat+antibiotics

knstrand :

That is one way of doing things. However there is an injection called Convenia - which lasts a week and is great for skin conditions

knstrand :

I wouldn't use it until the skin clears up, or unless you see a vet who has seen the skin loss and lesions who agrees the use of this product is okay

Customer:

ok - thank you so much for all your help and for answering all my nick-pickety questions. i was really worried and you have reassured me a little. i have ordered advantage for nala and a flea spray for home too. i will continue brushing her and will try and give her some food now. i will tell the vet everything you have told me too and hopefully it will be ok. is there anything else i need to know, need to be aware of?

knstrand :

Hopefully this info helps. No, I think we covered our bases:)

knstrand :

Have a great night

knstrand, Cat Veterinarian
Experience: I am a small animal veterinarian