Dr. Barbara
Dr. Barbara, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 30 years experience in veterinary medicine and surgery.
56364752

I have a Turkish van cat we believe he is about ten years old.

Customer Question

I have a Turkish van cat we believe he is about ten years old. We got him from the RSPCA.
He is a really lovely cat but we have recently noticed his right eye has a film over it , at times the eye looks like there is a yellow light in it especially at night, we think he may have lost sight in this eye. the other eye looks normal although the iris the black part sometimes looks round other times oval.

We have taken him to a vet and they sent us to a private hospital specialising in animals eyes, This experience was very traumatic especially for the cat , as he is so big they spent about ten minutes trying to look in his eye, it was heartbreaking waiting in reception listening to his crys. I could not put him through this again. he seems to be managing ok. We love him very much and would do anything for him he still climbs trees and shuns up on the sheds, My question is as he shows no concern about his eyes is he ok , can this be associated with old age or even because he is a white cat his eyes are not so good, We do worry that there is more we can do for him , but no way will I put him through that experience again . We would appreciate your advice. Many Thanks
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Barbara replied 3 years ago.

Dr. Barbara :

Hi, Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm a licensed veterinarian and I'll be happy to help. I'm so sorry to hear about your's and Ben's traumatic experience, but am very glad that Ben is happily living his life otherwise.

Dr. Barbara :

When there is a "film" visible to us something in the eye is inflamed or infected or malfunctioning in some way. This "film" could be a cloudy cornea, an anterior uveitis, a cataract, a posterior uveitis, or a detachment of the retina. Has either your vet or the veterinary ophthamologist told you where Ben's problem is located in his eye?

Dr. Barbara :

Also, when you look at his eye can you clearly see his pupil? This is the central opening in the iris that you can see in his other eye.

Dr. Barbara :

With this information I should be able to better help you. . .

I was hoping to get a little more information from you about Ben's eye. Also want to say, that cats can tapetal reflexes (the color you see from the eye when a light shines in the eyes when it is dark) that a different in each eye. This reflex is a function of the amount of melanin in the upper layer of the retina.
Were you told that his eye is abnormal. . .by either the general vet or the specialist?