Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

hi,my cat suffers from pacreatitis and has been unwell this

Customer Question

hi,my cat suffers from pacreatitis and has been unwell this weekend she had37.5mg tablet of Destolit this morning and 2 hours later vomited her food from early morning up ,she is also on a steroid table to build her appetite up she had one lunchtime after vomiting but the rest of the day she has been very listless has not eaten and just stretched out hardly moving.she is 12 years old and is a house cat never goes out.she has had pacreatitis for a whole year
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 3 years ago.
Aloha! You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin
I'm sorry for the delay in responding to you. I understand your frustration because we're frustrated as well because there still is no specific therapy for pancreatitis in cats. Supportive care comprising correction of fluid/electrolyte imbalances, pain managment, and nutritional support are the mainstay of therapy for cats with pancreatitis.

If Smudge remains inappetant for more than 24 hours, subcutaneous fluid administration should be considered. We can't allow her to become dehydrated.

Because pain is likely to be present in these patients and contribute to anorexia, treating with opioids such as oral burpenorphine should be considered.

Nutritional support in the form of syringeable and palatable food such as Hill's a/d is important if only to prevent hepatic lipidosis in cats not receiving adequate calories for more than 2 days.

Antiemetics are indicated for vomiting cats and best administered by injection.

In most cases, pancreatitis begins as a sterile process and so antibiotic therapy is controversial.

There is no justification for corticosteroids in cats with acute necrotizing or acute suppurative pancreatitis. Unfortunately, we can't know if either are present without an ultrasound-guided biopsy of her pancreas.

In summary, I wouldn't "watchful wait" a 12 year old cat with a history of chronic pancreatitis for more than 24 hours. Some combination of the above therapy should be considered as good supportive and palliative therapy for Smudge.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.