Dr. Barbara
Dr. Barbara, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 30 years experience in veterinary medicine and surgery.
56364752

my cat has not eaten in 4 days.she is a10year old mog.my vet

Customer Question

my cat has not eaten in 4 days.she is a10year old mog.my vet did blood tests, the only thing abnormal was elevated potassium levels. he said it was kidney disease and there was no treatment. Can you help me?
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Barbara replied 3 years ago.

Dr. Barbara :

Hi, Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm a licensed veterinarian and I'll be happy to help. I am so sorry to hear about Moggy! Did she have elevated kidney enzymes. . .BUN and creatinine? Just an elevated potassium doesn't indicate kidney disease.

Dr. Barbara :

We do treat cats all the time for chronic kidney disease (CKD) by making the most out of the functional kidney tissue they still have, by slowing down the progress of the kidney deterioration, and sometimes by healing the kidneys. . .like from bacterial infection.

Dr. Barbara :

It is of utmost importance that she take in some food. Cats get a secondary liver disease called hepatic lipidosis and this can be very serious. The treatment is to get the cat to eat. For now, you may need to syringe feed her. Your vet will have a food called AD, which is made just for this. You can also offer baby food meats. . .and warm them up. Makes this more tasty.

Dr. Barbara :

I'm

Dr. Barbara :

Ooooops. . . I need to be away from my computer for the next 2 1/2 to 3 hours, but will be back right away. I was hoping to hear back from you right away, so I hope this is no problem for you.

JACUSTOMER-7m3q5ue5- :

blood urea and creatine were normal

Dr. Barbara :

Oh good, you caught me for that. . .If the BUN and creatinine were normal, Moggy doesn't have kidney failure. I say that with a little hesitation, because kidney failure will unbalance (or can unbalance) the electrolytes, but. . .I sure would be looking further for why Moggy isn't eating.

Dr. Barbara :

Do you think you'll be able to force feed her?

Dr. Barbara :

Other questions I'll have is has she been vomiting or had any diarrhea? Any coughing or sneezing? Does she drink excessively or urinate excessively? I'll be back a little later to hopefully help you solve this. Thanks. . .

Dr. Barbara :

Just to let you know. . .I'm here again.