Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.
49838867

I have a 14 week old Siamese kitten which came to me on Tuesday.

I have a 14 week old Siamese kitten which came to me on Tuesday. Since that time it has not defecated at all but did regurgitate food this morning. He is sleeping a lot and only infrequently being at all lively. Is this a matter for getting him to a vet or is there some treatment I can try for constipation if this is the problem? Hopefully it is a normal situation and I am concerned for no reason.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 3 years ago.
Hello, my name isXXXXX and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian. I am so sorry to hear that Dai isn't feeling well, with increased lethargy, not passing stools and regurgitating food.

I am very concerned about your little one. He may not be passing stools because he isn't keeping food down, not necessarily that he is constipated. Unfortunately because he is regurgitating anything you give him orally won't be helpful because he won't be able to keep in down.

Possible reasons for his illness include a viral or bacterial infection, ingesting a foreign body (toy piece, rubber band etc), a quick change in diet or severe parasite infestation.

At his age he has little body reserves to draw on, kittens get very sick, very quickly so the best thing would be that he see your veterinarian immediately.

In the meantime at home to try to settle his stomach you can give either:
1)Pepcid ac (famotidine) at ¼ of a 10mg tablet per 5 to 10 pounds of body weight every 12 hours
OR
2)Prilosec (omeprazole) at ¼ of a 10mg tablet per 5 to 10 pounds of body weight every 24 hours
These are acid reducers and may help him feel better.

If he stops regurgitating I recommend feeding a bland diet of 2/3 boiled, shredded white chicken and 1/3 boiled white rice. You can mix in low salt chicken broth or warm water to make the food softer and easier to eat and swallow and get more fluids in him.
If he continues to not eat and regurgitate and is lethargic he should see his veterinarian for an examination, diagnostic testing, intravenous fluids and other supportive care as needed.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.