Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats and am happy to discuss any questions you have.
60269376

Ferral cat ventured in my house - is lying quietly but wont

Customer Question

Ferral cat ventured in my house - is lying quietly but won't have any of the offered food and drink what shall i do???? She /he is prob about 3 months old - and when i have seen this lovely ginger kitten in the garden i've never been able to get a good look ....but I hope if it's a girl she's not pregnant..... her tummy does appear to be rounded when i have tried to catch a glimpse...
Pleeeease advise
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 years ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with this wee one today.

Now how to approach the situation will depend on what your aim is with this wee one.

Are you planning to keep her?

Do you want her to go?

How is she otherwise -- any sneezing or discharges at the eyes or nose?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

As we both work full time ++ it wouldn't be fair on the little baby..and my husband definitely does NOT want to keep her/him

Otherwise she/he looks healthy no sneezing / eyes big and bright - just staring - no noise at all

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 years ago.

Thank you Linda.

That is fair enough. I just needed to make sure I understood your position before I could advise you on what should be done with this little one.

Now in any case, since she is in the house already, it would be best to see if you can catch her and take her into the local vet practice. They can scan her for a microchip to see if she is owned. If she is, then they will be able to look up her owner's contact details and get the kitten home. If she doesn't have a chip, then the vet practice can take her in. They will be able to check her over and then sort out getting her into a local cat rescue for rehoming (which she will be held by the rehoming group or the vet for 7 days to ensure an owner doesn't come forward first). So this would be the best course of action for her, since we'd not want to just her back outside with the weather cooling down. And if you wished, you could take a photo of her and put up posters in your neighborhood just in case she does belong to someone (and if they come forward you can direct them to the vet who has taken her in).

Furthermore, I did want to note that since you said she looks ~3 months, her distended belly is likely to be due to having worms not pregnancy. Cats reach puberty at 6 months of age, therefore a kitten this young would not be able to become pregnant. As well, diagnosing pregnancy can be difficult and often required palpation of the abdomen to confirm. So, I would be suspicious that worms are is the cause of the belly you are seeing. Otherwise, her lack of eating and drinking isn't too alarming if she appears well. Often kittens who are unsure of their surroundings will be reluctant to eat/drink initially.

In any case, under the circumstances (her age, the weather, etc), the best course of action is to take her into the local vets. They will be able to scan her for a microchip and sort out getting her home or getting her into a rescue to find her a home.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. Thank you and hope to see you again soon! : )