Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats and am happy to discuss any questions you have.
60269376

Dental problem - probably little abscess (gum white) - she

Dental problem - probably little abscess (gum white) - she cat 20 years old and blind
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 3 years ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Has Molly been showing signs of appetite decline or struggling to eat?

Does she drool, paw at her mouth, or teeth grind?

Is only one part of the gum white or is it all looking white?

Any lumps in the gum?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

struggling to eat

paw at her mouth

one part of the gum white

maybe a little lump - not sure

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 3 years ago.

Thank you Daniel.

I am glad that Molly didn't have completely white gums, as that can be a sign of anemia instead of dental disease.

Now if she is struggling to eat and pawing at her mouth, even without the gum changes, this does tell us that she is suffering from oral discomfort. Now dental disease is one of the most common causes but at her age we'd also have to be concerned about other causes (ie growths, ulcers from kidney disease, even ulcerative tumors within the mouth).

Now with Molly being an elderly lass, we do have to consider how best to address her mouth. It goes without saying that she does need her our assistance since she is clearly telling us with her signs that this is causing her discomfort. Therefore, first off, it would be ideal to have her vet examine her mouth. They can confirm if this white area is an abscess, assess the teeth to determine if any are in trouble, and rule out any growths or ulcers.

Depending on their findings, they will be able to give you an idea of the best course of action. If this is just an wee abscess and not associated with a rotten decaying tooth, then antibiotics and a feline friendly pain relief would be indicated to clear this for her. If there is a rotten tooth triggering this abscess, then we may still find that the antibiotics and pain relief can help her to settle. That said, we do have to appreciate that in some cases it'd be ideal to remove the tooth as well to prevent recurring abscesses. If that were the case, then a dental would be a consideration no matter her age as long as her overall health (on exam and via blood sample) was good. That said, we'd not necessarily dash into that at the first instance anyway.

Overall, Molly is giving you clear signs that she is in oral discomfort. Therefore, it would be prudent to have her vet examine her mouth. If this is a abscess on its own, then a course of antibiotics and kitty safe pain relief should sort this out. If there is a rotten tooth present, then this would still be indicated but you may want to discuss how to address the tooth with her vet. And in the meantime, until you can have her mouth examined, I would suggest trying her on soft pate style cat foods, meat baby food (without garlic or onion powder), or a veterinary critical care diet (ie Hill's A/D (LINK), Royal Canin Recovery (LINK), or Clinicare Canine/Feline Liquid Diet (LINK)) to just make eating easier for her and to make sure that Molly is getting proper nutrition into herself despite her sore mouth.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. Thank you and hope to see you again soon! : )

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Do you think it's a matter of urgency or shall I wait until to-morrow morning to take her to her vet ?

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 3 years ago.
Hi again Daniel,

As long she can eat and drink today, then it is urgent but not an emergency situation. Therefore, if your vet is open today (some do have normal hours on the weekend), then it'd be a good idea to have her seen. But if they are only seeing emergencies, then it would be fine to keep her on soft foods today and follow up with them when they open tomorrow.

All the best,

Dr. B.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you very much

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 3 years ago.
You are very welcome, Daniel.

All the best for Molly,

Dr. B.