Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.
49838867

my cat was given an antibiotic jag earlier and now he was staggering

my cat was given an antibiotic jag earlier and now he was staggering earlier and now he is lifeless on the bed. I s this serious
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 3 years ago.
Hello, my name isXXXXX and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian. I am very sorry to hear that Lucy is lifeless this afternoon.

What color are her gums and tongue? Normally cats have a nice bubblegum pink color. If she is white, grayish or blue then she needs immediate veterinary care.

Is she breathing any differently or more quickly then usual? A normal respiratory rate in cats is about 10 to 15 breaths (1 breath includes both the chest moving in and out) per minute. If she is panting or has a respiratory rate faster then 45 to 50 breaths per minute then she needs immediate veterinary care.

Has she had any vomiting or diarrhea?

What is her rectal temperature? Normal rectal temperature in a cat is 37.7C to 39.2C, if she has a temperature higher then 39.4 then she has a fever and that may be the reason for her lethargy.

The concern is that either the illness that she received the injection for has progressed quickly, and made her much sicker before the antibiotics could help her, OR that she is experiencing a reaction to the antibiotic that she was given.

Frankly if she is as flat out as you describe then she needs another examination and probably supportive care tonight. Please get her seen by a veterinarian.
Best of luck with Lucy, please let me know how things go for her.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

she is breathing very slowly and i have a blanket on her to keep her warm. she seems to whimper a bit when i try to touch her

Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 3 years ago.
I'm so sorry, she sounds like she is in great discomfort.
Cats are masters at hiding an illness or pain so when they display symptoms that indicate pain I get very worried.
Are you able to check her color or temperature?
I think with what you are telling me the best thing for her is a return to her veterinarian. If they aren't available an emergency room visit is best. I am very concerned that she is in shock.