Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  I have been a practicing veterinarian for over 30 years.
60411192

Hi, My kitten used to be affectionate and would often come

My kitten used to be affectionate and would often come and lay on my at night time and liked to be stroked. I had her spayed a couple of weeks ago and she was still affectionate up until i took the cone off her head. Now she runs around consistently and wont sleep on me, she now takes to sleeping at the end of my bed and can only stroke her when she is napping. Will she become the affectionate kitten i used to have.
Zoe
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 3 years ago.

Hello Zoe, I'm Dr. Deb.
I recently came online and see that your question about Bella hasn't been answered. I'm sorry that you've had to wait for a response but if you still need assistance, I'd like to help if I can.

As distressing and upsetting as it might be that Bella is behaving this way towards you, it's actually fairly common after a stressful or traumatic event. Her spay procedure as well as the cone she had to wear most likely contributed to her feelings of some distrust of you. I wouldn't exactly say that she's holding a grudge although her behavior may appear that this is the case.

If Bella was a sweetheart before her spay, then more than likely she will become a sweetheart again given time and patience. She basically has to work this out on her own which may take a little bit more time...you can't rush the process, in other words.

I would talk to her but I wouldn't attempt to pet her. Let her come to you. Often the more we try to push our attention onto a cat, the less they want it.

I'd also suggest Feliway which is a natural pheromone intended to reduce stress and anxiety. It can be purchased at many pet/grain stores or on the internet.

I would continue to play with her with feathers and laser lights (if she likes these sorts of things) and continue to give her treats as you have been; just don't try to pet her until she's ready.
More than likely, she'll come around and the relationship that you had before will be reestablished.

I hope this helps. Again, my apologies for the delayed response. Deb

Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 3 years ago.
Zoe:
Thanks for the rating; it's greatly appreciated.

Good luck with Bella. I hope she starts to become more affectionate very soon...I'm certain that this is your fervant hope as well!. Regards, Deb

Kindly ignore the information request.