Dr. Ann M.
Dr. Ann M., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  ER and general medicine Veterinarian since 2005
15015521

Hi, my nine week old kitten is sick every time she eats kitten

Customer Question

Hi, my nine week old kitten is sick every time she eats kitten food...either wet or dry that I put down. She won't eat it out of the bowl, but will if it's on the floor...should I still just be giving her kitten milk and if so should I carry on giving her tiny bits of kitten food until she gets used to it? Thanks
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Ann M. replied 3 years ago.
Hi there and thank you for your question. My name is Ann and I am a licensed veterinarian and I would be happy to assist you.

With a kitten this age, it is quite likely that she has intestinal parasites, and that can cause her to vomit and have a sensitive stomach. This may make her more likely to vomit each time she eats. I would drop off a stool sample at your local vet clinic or take her in, or if that is financially not an option, I would try to purchase some basic dewormer at a local pet store and give her a dose and see if that helps. She should not require kitten milk at this age. You can try a more bland option than the kitten food in the short term, which may help- you can purchase jars of chicken or beef baby food, the kind with no other ingredient besides meat. Warm that up and give her small amounts of it at a time for several days, and then over time if she is doing well you can slowly mix in some canned food with it, and then slowly mix in some kibble. But try her on just the baby food for a week or so first and see how it goes.

I hope that I have answered your question thoroughly... if you feel that I have provided anything less than excellent service, please reply to me first before rating my service and let me know how I can better assist you. Thank you for your question; it has been a pleasure being able to provide assistance. Best of luck.