Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  I have been a practicing veterinarian for over 30 years.
60411192

soft poo, 9 month old cat

Hello, I have got a 9 months old tabby, he seemed to be having soft stools. He does his poos somewhere outside so I don't know where they are, but two weeks ago I noticed him scooting, and then he did a poo in his litter box inside and it was soft. In the meantime we saw the vet and he has been dewormed and deflead. And then I saw him scooting few times again, and this morning he did soft poo in his litter box, and tonight I could smell soft poo on his paws. He seems happy and energetic, has got good appetite, he does drink quite a lot of water but I think he always used to do as he loves his water fountain. He's fed kitten Natures Menu a pouch a day and 60grams of dry kitten food of Hill's. I was wondering whether I should switch to adult food, as I read somewhere that sometimes the cat's stomach cannot take the kitten's fatty food anymore, and I think he's quite big for his age. Thank you for your time. Regards. Ashka

Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 3 years ago.

Hello Ashka, I'm Dr. Deb and I'll do my best to help you today.

I'm sorry for this problem with Kotek. Since he's been wormed (hopefully with something like Panacur), then diet may be the reason his stools are loose.
Some cats can react in an adverse way to the ingredients (usually the protein or carbohydrates in them) although the fact that he's still eating kitten food is less likely to be the cause of his looser stools. I do agree that it's time to transition him over to adult food, though.
For now, the following would be my suggestions:

1. Start him on a daily probiotic such as Forti Flora which is a powder sprinkled on the food.
2. I'd feed him boiled chicken or human baby food (avoid those with onion or garlic in them) rather than his kitten food. This won't be balanced or nutritious for the long term but should be fine for the short term and is very bland.
3. When considering an adult food, chose ones with different ingredients from the one he's currently eating. I'm not certain if you need to select a more limited ingredient food just yet but ones to consider would be Natural BaXXXXX XXXXXmited Ingredient Diets, Nature's Variety Instincts line, Evo duck or venison, Nature's Variety Frozen Raw Medallions (I recommend that they be zapped in the microwave for 10-15 seconds on each side). Feeding grain free may help in some cases.
4. Some kittens will need anti-diarrheal medications such as Metronidazole before improvement is seen but I'd try the above first.

I hope this helps and that you see improvement soon. Deb