Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

Cat receiving treatment for GI lymphoma. Recently came of iv

Customer Question

Cat receiving treatment for GI lymphoma. Recently came of iv vincristine as tumor has stopped responding. She is still getting daily prednisone but my partner thinks we were also to keep her on cyclophosphamide every other day. Will it do any damage continuing both drugs? I can't get my local vet for clarification as they are now closed. Help!

Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 3 years ago.
Aloha! You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin
I'm sorry for the delay in responding to you. There are quite a few protocols for lymphoma chemotherapy treatment in cats but the most common involving the drugs you mentioned is called the COP protocol (cyclophosphamide, vincristine (Oncovin), and prednisolone. In this protocol cyclophosphamide is administered as a single weekly dose on weeks 1, 4, 7, and 10....vincristine is administered as a single weekly dose on weeks 1, 2, 3, 4, 7, and 10...

If you're not sure if cyclophosphamide should be given at this time, don't give it. There's no harm waiting until Daisy's vet is available but irreparable harm can be caused by giving it when it's not appropriate to do so.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.
Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it.

You may receive an inappropriate follow up from the site ostensibly from me. It wasn't and I apologize in advance should you receive it.

Please disregard the info request.