Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats and am happy to discuss any questions you have.
60269376

I think my cat may have pulled a tiny bit of amaryllis leaf

I think my cat may have pulled a tiny bit of amaryllis leaf off but not eaten it will he have poisoned himself?
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 3 years ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

If your kitty did not eat the leaf, then he is unlikely to have caused himself any harm. It is possible we could see drooling (since it tastes unpleasant) and for this you could flush his mouth out with cool water and offset the taste by offering a palatable light diet option like boiled chicken, boiled white fish or scrambled egg.

If he had eaten the leaf, signs we could see would include lethargy, GI signs (going off his food, vomiting, diarrhea), belly pain and in high doses (unlikely with even a single leaf) tremors. So, I would advise watching for these signs but we are unlikely to see them if he did spit the leave back out.

And just in case he seems to have a bit of GI upset, you can again offer a light diet option for him. As well, you can give him a small dose of an antacid to help keep his tummy settled. There are a number of antacids that are available over the counter and pet friendly. I would advise only treating with one, but the two I tend to use are Pepcid (More Info/Dose) or Zantac (More Info/Dose) These are usually given 20 minutes before food (to allow absorption) and of course you want to double check with your vet if he has a pre-existing condition or is on any medications you haven't noted before.

Overall, he has given you a scare and likely has a bad taste in his mouth, but he is unlikely to have done any harm with this. So, I would advise the above and relocating the plant out of his reach.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. Thank you and hope to see you again soon! : )
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
No thank you