Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  I have been a practicing veterinarian for over 30 years.
60411192

I have a new Siamese Kitten 12 weeks old and fully vacinated.

I have a new Siamese Kitten 12 weeks old and fully vacinated. The breeder said sometimes they get sticky eyes after the injection and to bathe the eye with cool boiled water. I have done this but his eyes look sore? He is also sneezing. Advice please.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 3 years ago.

Hello Marion, I'm Dr. Deb.

I recently came online and see that your question about Teddy hasn't been answered. I'm so sorry that you've had to wait for a response, but if you still need assistance, I'd like to help if I can.

It sounds like Teddy has an Upper Respiratory Infection (URI) or the Feline Flu. This is going to be the most common cause of eye issues and sneezing in a kitten this age.

These infections are usually secondary to viruses (herpes or calici) although secondary bacterial infections can also be seen. When this happens, the discharge (from either the eyes or nose) is usually green or yellow in color and I usually dispense oral antibiotics; if the discharge is clear, then I typically don't.

Symptoms can be seen for 10-14 days although some cats can display intermittent symptoms their entire lives if a herpes virus is involved.

There are several treatment options which may help improve his symptoms:
1. Continue to gently clean the eyes and nose of any discharge. I don't typically advise boiled cooled water but it's fine if you want to continue to do so.

Over the counter artificial tears can be used to flush out the eyes.
2. Nasal decongestant drops can be helpful although many cats don’t like them very much as you can imagine. They should only be used for three days in a row, with one drop in each nostril; otherwise what’s known as a rebound effect may occur
a. Pediatric otrivin=0.05% xylometazoline

b. “Little Noses" Decongestant Nose Drops with phenylephrine hydrochloride
c. Afrin (oxymetazoline)

d. "Little Noses" Saline Spray/Drops non medicated which can be used more than three days in a row.

3. You can place him in a bathroom with hot water running so that the steam can loosen up secretions or use a humidifier can also be helpful if you have one.
4. There are no safe over the counter cold remedies that we might take but antihistamines can help some cats:

Benadryl at a dose of 1/4 of a 25 mg tablet given twice daily or

Chlorpheniramine at a dose of 1 mgtwice a day or

Claritin at a dose of 2.5 mg twice or

Zyrtec 2.5 mg once or twice a day

It is important to ensure that the formulations used contain ONLY the antihistamine and are not combination products (e.g. Claritin-D contains pseudoephedrine, which could cause very significant adverse effects in a cats.

Sedation is a common side effect with these kinds of drugs.

I probably wouldn't use one of these drugs just yet but wanted to include the option so you'd know what was safe.

5. L-lysine can help with any eye issues. Herpes viruses can settle in the eyes and cause symptoms that you're seeing. This product is available on the internet or at many pet or grain stores.
Most cats tolerate this supplement very well but side effects which might be seen include vomiting, diarrhea, and facial swelling/itching (an anaphylactic reaction).

Encourage Teddy to drink by feeding either smelly canned foods or by offering tuna or clam juice.

I hope this helps and that he's feeling better soon. Again, my apologies for the delayed reply. Deb

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
It was not Dr Deb's fault that it took so long for me to get a reply but I won't use the service again. I don't feel that I should be dosing my kitten with anti histamine . I propose to get a vets appointment tomorrow. Instead of bathing with cooled boiled waster what should I do instead - that wasn't made clear
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 3 years ago.

Marion:

I'm sorry that you rated poor service but want to confirm that you were displeased with the site rather than my response. If that's the case, then I can then contact the website and the rating will not be held against me.
The rating system on this site is designed to rate the answers you receive as opposed to the service from the site....and this may not have been clear, although I am quite sorry that you had to wait so long for an answer. I know how frustrating this must have been for you.

I agree that I would be hesitant to give a kitten this age any anti-histamines for this problem although as I mentioned it would be safe to do so. Benadryl is commonly suggested for kittens who experience vaccine reactions and yet still need additional vaccinations to complete the series of shots.

Sorry that I wasn't clear about how to clean the eyes and nose. I typically clean the eyes and nose with a warm washcloth as opposed to cool water. I believe it helps to loosen up the discharge better which makes it easier to remove.

Deb

Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 3 years ago.
Marion:
Thank you so much for changing your rating; I'm extremely appreciative.

I truly am sorry that you didn't have a more positive experience with the site but hope that if you wanted to give it another chance, you'd consider it.
I'm on the site some part of every day, multiple times during the day so if you had another question, you could address it directly to me and I, hopefully, would respond quickly.

But in any event, I wanted to wish you the best with Teddy and hope that he isn't feeling badly for very long. Regards, Deb

Kindly ignore the infromation request.