Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of experience in small animal internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

Cat with loose bowels, poor apetite, drinking a fair amount.

Cat with loose bowels, poor apetite, drinking a fair amount. Male age ten.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name isXXXXX am a licensed veterinarian. I am sorry for the delay in response, it appears no experts were available when you posted your question. If you would like to continue can you please answer a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- How long has this been going on?
2- Is it fair to say he is drinking more than usual?
3- Is he strictly indoors?
4- Any pre existing medical conditions?

There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Many thanks Dr Peter - our reply as follows:

1. After de-worming, approx. 5th January 2014

2. Yes, more than usual

3. No, but since the de-worming he has stayed in the garden

4. None

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
1- Is he losing weight?
2- Is he on any medications?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

1. Not losing weight

2.Not on any medication

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
Rodney, loose stool can be caused by either problems within the gastrointestinal tract itself or secondary to a systemic disease. The fact that Sammy is drinking more water than usual I would be concern about a systemic disease. You see, drinking more than usual in a mature cat is often a symptom of: Diabetes, kidney or liver disease, hyperthyroidism (over production of thyroid hormone) and in some cases even cancer. So, it is important to rule out the above diseases and make certain the decrease appetite and loose stool are not related to the above mentioned disease. In order to rule out the above diseases Sammy would need some blood work (chemistry profile, CBC & T4) and urinalysis as initial screening test by family veterinarian. In the meantime this is what you can do for the loose stool:

1- Do not give things like Pepto Bismol (bismuth) or imodium.
2- Change his diet to rice (50%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (50%) until the stool is back to normal then wean back into regular diet.
3- Supplement with a probiotic (fortiflora), these are friendly bacterias that help with regularity. You can buy this over the counter in any pet store.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back. I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter