Rebecca
Rebecca, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian for more than 30 years
11877925

hi i have an old cat who is about 23 years old and she has

Customer Question

hi i have an old cat who is about 23 years old and she has started to loose her hair. its not just malting as the hair is coming off in little clumps. i cant see any basre skin and aprt from this she seem quite happy. is this just old age ?

taking her to the vet would stress her out so i thought id ask you first
Category: Cat
Expert:  Rebecca replied 3 years ago.
I am sorry to hear about Tae. Wow, 23! I have never had a cat live that long!

My name is Rebecca. I am a veterinarian, and will do my best to help.

If she is not losing hair to the point of having bald spots, I am not too worried. Is she a long haired cat?

As cats age, their shedding cycle can become variable, and they shed at odd times. If she is a long haired cat, just brushing her more often, to remove the loose hair, can be helpful if she will allow it. I like a tool like a Furminator that only removes the loose, unattached hair.

Adding some fish oil to her diet may help improve her coat and is also good for arthritis, eyes and heart.

Please let me know what else I can answer or help with.

Rebecca
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Rebecca

thats a great relief thanks, XXXXX XXXXX she is a miracle at 23 and i just want to make sure I can do all i can for her in her old age.

she is not a long hared cat, she is a tabby with thick shortish hair, but has always been so well groomed which is why i wanted to seek advice.

she only likes to eat fish so hopefully she is getting enough oils, ill make sure i give her more oily fish

Expert:  Rebecca replied 3 years ago.
You are welcome. Is there anything else I can answer, or help with?

I will be checking back, to see how she is doing.

Kindly rate my answer, but only if all your questions have been answered.

Rebecca
Expert:  Rebecca replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for the great rating.

Rebeca