Rebecca
Rebecca, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian for more than 30 years
11877925

i have a young persian cat who is 16 months old, when he was

Customer Question

i have a young persian cat who is 16 months old, when he was a kitten he use to get black hard crust on his chin and around his eyes, i took him to the vet every two weeks and spent a fortune on different types of treament that were not working at all, the vet tried all different types of medicaction and did a number of blood test but still could not find a cause for this, when i got him home a friend of mine told me to try tee tree oil for pets so i did, the next day it had all cleared up and his skin was back to normal, a year on now this has reoccurred, once again i tried tee tree oil but it is no longer working on him, when i looked up on the internet it showed persian kittens with the same disease and said it was a fungal disease, that persian cats get when they are young, it constantly itches him and when i clean his face it looks really sore, do you know what this , might be and what i can buy to cure this, i will take him back to my vet but i just think after the last time and mnths of him going, it was all a waste of time. can you please help. Thanks
Category: Cat
Expert:  Rebecca replied 3 years ago.
I am sorry to hear about Leo. My name is Rebecca. I am a veterinarian, and will do my best to help.

A black crust on the chin can also be a case of "feline acne". These sometimes respond to not using plastic food and water bowls, and to daily cleaning with Douxo ( available on line and over the counter). Applying a gel containing Benzoyl Peroxided can help with these chins as well.

I would avoid Tea Tree oil; if ingested it can make cats sick.

You can't use the Benzoyl peroxide gel near the eyes. If this is fungal, you could clean around the eyes with cotton balls wet with a combination of vinegar and water, but be careful that his eyes are closed. You can also try the Douxo pads the same way, just don't get it in his eyes.

If the skin near his eyes looks inflamed at all (red, swollen, irritated) you could use an eye ointment, meant to be put on eyes, on the eyelids. That way if some gets into the eye, there should not be any harm. These are not available over the counter, you would have to get it from your vet.

Please let me know what else I can answer or help with.

Rebecca
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

he was tested for feline acne but test results came back negative, i have never used plastic bowls or plates as i was told not to buy the vet and the lady i bought him from, what oinment would you recccommend for the eyes as they are red and swollen and i think vinegar might sting a bit.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 3 years ago.
Was a biopsy of his chin done? There is no other "test" for feline acne.

I would use an eye ointment containing both triple antibiotic, and some form of cortisone. You can only get ointments like this by prescription.

I would look into the Douxo pads; I have had very good luck with them.

Rebecca