Dr. Barbara
Dr. Barbara, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 30 years experience in veterinary medicine and surgery.
56364752

What happens if my cat doesnt take her destolit because I

What happens if my cat doesn't take her destolit because I am having trouble getting her to swallow the tablet? I am going to go down to the vets on Wednesday so they can show me but I haven't managed to get it down her now since Thursday. She is meant to have 0.25 daily and has already been hospitalised last week on an iv as let liver was failing, she pulled through, is now eating (not as much as I'd like) but her eyes are yellow and I'm worried that by me not being able to get the tablet down her its going to have a big affect.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Barbara replied 3 years ago.

Dr. Barbara :

Hi, Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm a licensed veterinarian and I'll be happy to help. Thanks for your question! Really, it would be best if you can get some help in giving her this tablet as soon as you can, because it offers protective qualities against rising circulating bile acid in Spud's body.

Dr. Barbara :

One way to offer tablets to cats is to use a "Pill Pocket". These are tastey little treats that have a pocket in them to hide a pill.

Dr. Barbara :

What have you tried?

Customer: Chicken, pâté, cheese, I've just tried sausage but I did read about pill pockets but I can't find them anywhere, I went into pets at home today to have a look, are they sold in vets or even sold in the uk ?
Dr. Barbara :

They are sold at the vets' here, but I was wondering about the UK. . .let me see what I can find out and I'll be right back.

Dr. Barbara :

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=pill+pockets&tag=googhydr-21&index=pets&hvadid=34253646956&hvpos=1t2&hvexid=&hvnetw=s&hvrand=11 I found them here on your Amazon.co.uk, so I imagine that your vet would have these.

Customer: Ok thank-you for your help.
Dr. Barbara :

Have you tried crushing the tablet and mixing it in a small amount of her food?

Customer: Well my mom went onto this exact website and asked if we could crush them but another vet on here said no as its too bitter I think. Our vets was closed at the time which is why we asked on here. I wanted to crush them but I googled it and there was general advice that some tablets are meant to be slow release and by crushing it can overdose hence why my mom asked on her, so can we crush them? If that's the case it would be much easier.
Dr. Barbara :

Good point. Let me go check on whether some are slow released, and if you could check the label on your bottle that would help. Meet you here in a minute or so. . .

Customer: Nothing is listed on the bottle as to crushing, it says destolit 150mg 0.25 given daily, there are no other instructions other than the address and the name spud on the label on the bottle.
Dr. Barbara :

Since you have a pill, it is highly unlikely that this is a slow release product. Usually slow release meds are in capsular form. Also, the fact that you are giving a quarter of a tablet is telling that this is not slow release. The way to crush a tablet is between two spoons nested into each other, or with a mortar and pestle. I still would like to research destolit a little more so I'll be back very soon. Thanks.

Customer:

Ok thank-you look forward to your reply :)

Dr. Barbara :

I've read the complete label, and this tablet form is not slow release. I suspect it is bitter, but hopefully it is a small enough amount that Spud won't taste it when mixed in with a small amount of food.

Customer:

Ok thank-you very much for your help! This makes it much easier to get down her :)

Hi Liz,
You are very welcome! You see, I get to learn too! Destolit is our Actigall, and it is not slow release. Thanks!
Dr. Barbara
Hi Liz,
How are things going for Spud? Did crushing the tablet help?
The yellow eyes are bile pigment in her tissues. This does take awhile to fade even after her serum bile acids are normal, so if she is eating well she is likely healing well.
I'd love to hear from you,
Dr. Barbara