Rebecca
Rebecca, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian for more than 30 years
11877925

My cat has started to over my clothes would it because

Customer Question

My cat has started to urinate over my clothes would it because he is sick or due to being on his own during the day, he is an indoor cat
Category: Cat
Expert:  Rebecca replied 3 years ago.
I am sorry to hear about Benjy.

My name is Rebecca. I am a veterinarian, and will do my best to help.

If a cat suddenly starts to urinate on soft or smooth things ( tile, clothing, bedding) it can mean that it stings or burns when he urinates. He could have a bladder infection, or small crystals in his urine. In male cats, crystals in the urine can lead to a blockage in the urethra, and then they can't pass urine, and that is an emergency! So it is good that he is going, but bad that he is going on your clothes.

If he were mine, I would have a urinalysis done on a urine sample. Urine can be hard to get from a cat! If you take him to your vet in the morning, they can keep him until his bladder fills to get a sample. You could try to collect a sample at home: lock him in a small room with a litter pan that has been cleaned and dried and then putting small plastic beads ( available at your vet) or some shredded paper in the pan. If he urinates in the pan, you can pour some urine ( half a teaspoons is enough) and taking it to your vet.

It sounds to me that this change in his urination could be a cry for help! I would not just write it off as bad behavior.

Please let me know what else I can answer or help with.

Rebecca
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Many thanks Rebecca will get him checked out!
Expert:  Rebecca replied 3 years ago.
You are welcome! Thank you for the great rating.

Rebecca
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Another question Rebecca a friend told me that male cats go into heat! Is this true? Personally I dont think so - your the expert!!!
Expert:  Rebecca replied 3 years ago.
No, only female cats go into heat. "Heat" is synomomous with estrus/estrogen; not much of that in boy cats.

Is he neutered? If not, he may sense outdoor females going into heat, this is the right time of year, and that could cause this behavior.

Rebecca
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks again Rebecca, he was neutered when he wasnt very old.
Expert:  Rebecca replied 3 years ago.
Then it is probably not raging hormones!

Rebecca
Expert:  Rebecca replied 3 years ago.
Angela,
How is Benjy doing?

Rebecca