Dr. Barbara
Dr. Barbara, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 30 years experience in veterinary medicine and surgery.
56364752

We have been adopted by a stray adult tom cat. After nine months

Customer Question

We have been adopted by a stray adult tom cat. After nine months with us we had him castrated. How long before he stops fighting with another unneutered which comes into our garden? They are getting quite badly hurt. Also if he becomes less aggressive will he get bullied?
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Barbara replied 3 years ago.

Dr. Barbara :

Hi, Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm a licensed veterinarian and I'll be happy to help. Lucky Earnest that you have adopted him! You are asking questions that really don't have definite answers unfortunately. The only definite is that it'll take 6 to 8 weeks after his neuter for all of the testosterone in Earnest's body to be eliminated.

Dr. Barbara :

Since Earnest and this other cat are already scrapping, this may continue even after Earnest no longer has testosterone. . .fighting with this cat has become more of a habit now and not just hormonally driven. Also, it may be that Earnest will no longer be as aggressive without testosterone and unfortunately could be bullied. I am sorry that I can't be more definite!

Dr. Barbara :

One thing you can do is to always feed Earnest in an enclosed environment and pick up his food after he is done eating. That way there won't be food aggression between them.

Customer:

Thank you very much for the information, we were afraid there was no real answer! We keep Earnest seperate when feeding already.

Dr. Barbara :

Thank you for your response. Do you also pick up his food between feedings, so it isn't available to either cat?

Dr. Barbara :

Is the other cat in your garden at set times perhaps?

Customer:

What leftover food? the bowl's losing it's pattern! the other tom doesn't appear to have a set routine, but patrols the garden once most days.

Dr. Barbara :

:) :) :) ! The only other hope that I can possibly give is that right now is the time when cats mate so their kittens are born in the warmer spring months. If there are also unspayed females roaming around this would very much stimulate males fighting during this mating season. Things MAY calm down after that.

Dr. Barbara :

Also, if you know the owner of this other male, you might be able to work out a schedule for the two cats. . .Earnest outdoors at certain times, and the other tom outdoors at another time.

Customer:

we know the owner of the tom, but unfortunately they can't catch him or get near him as he has gone completely feral. thank you very much for the advice, we'll just have to hope he calms down after the mating season is over.