Dr. Susan
Dr. Susan, Veterinarian
Experience:  8 years of clinical experience with specialty in veterinary pain management, urology, and geriatrics
25524280

Why does my cats have terrible bad throats and coughing bouts

Customer Question

Why does my cats have terrible bad throats and coughing bouts after dental surgery with my vet my previous vet who retired we had been with for thirty years not once did they have this bad throats and coughing
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Susan replied 2 years ago.

Dr. Susan :

Hi, I can help you with your question today.

Dr. Susan :

I agree, this is really concerning.

Dr. Susan :

I'm not sure what the underlying issue is, but it can be related to the endotracheal tube as they suggested.

Dr. Susan :

However, all pets are intubated during general anesthesia, and it is not considered normal for them to have a cough.

Dr. Susan :

Therefore, I do think that something went wrong - perhaps they were not handled carefully when changing positions -

Dr. Susan :

Imagine the ET tube inside the windpipe. When we change the position of the patient (flipping from one side to the other to clean the teeth, for example), we must be conscious of doing it gently to prevent that ET tube from banging around a lot and causing inflammation and irritation in the windpipe.

Dr. Susan :

Another possible issue would be the ET tube cuff.

Dr. Susan :

The ET tube should fit relatively snugly inside the windpipe, but we cannot always accomplish a perfect fit.

Dr. Susan :

Therefore, each ET tube has a small balloon at the end which can be inflated to make it fit snugly in the windpipe.

Dr. Susan :

This snug fit prevents anything from going into the lungs during anesthesia.

Dr. Susan :

That can happen if a pet vomits, or in the case of dentals, there is a LOT of water used during a procedure that could drain into the lungs if they aren't sufficiently protected.

Dr. Susan :

So my top two concerns here would be 1) careless handling when moving your intubated pets, or 2) not making sure they had a well fitting ET tube and something was introduced into the lungs during the procedure.

Dr. Susan :

These are mainly responsibilities of the veterinary technicians. At most hospitals, that would be the case anyway. So the new vet may be very competent, but I would be concerned if the other staff members are not handling your pets appropriately.

JACUSTOMER-ikfffhy2- : I had a very ill cat going in for biopsy and they said that her teeth needed cleaning results came back cancer she died two weeks later with the cough to do with teeth again
Dr. Susan :

I can't say that with certainty, but I'm surprised that BOTH of your cats had the same problem. That makes me worry it could be an issue with improper training.

Dr. Susan :

I'm so sorry about that.

JACUSTOMER-ikfffhy2- : I agree no qualify nurses Iam thinking of changing vets because I love my cats and it hurts to see them suffer. Bertie was lucky to see the emergency vet thank you
Dr. Susan :

You are very welcome. If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION. You can also continue asking more questions after your rating!

JACUSTOMER-ikfffhy2- : .
Dr. Susan :

You're back! Is there more I can help you with?