Dr Scott Nimmo
Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinary Surgeon.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

My very old cat has arthritis and is beginning to have difficulties

Customer Question

My very old cat has arthritis and is beginning to have difficulties walking. What can I do?
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 3 years ago.

Scott Nimmo :

Hello and welcome. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am an experienced small animal veterinary surgeon, I will be very pleased to work with you today and will try my best to answer your question to your satisfaction.

Scott Nimmo :

Sorry to hear about Tat's problems but you have done so well to get her to that age ..

Scott Nimmo :

The botXXXXX XXXXXne is this, there is really nothing you can do to help her in terms of home remedies { cont }

Scott Nimmo :

But if she is otherwise in fairly good health and what you are seeing is due to arthritis then a vet can prescribe her a prescription anti-arthritis drug. These can sometimes make quite a difference and could well improve the quality of her life ...

Customer:

I don't want to take her to the vet as it would terrify her - not having been since she was a small kitten, to be spayed.. Would it help if I went to talk to the local vet?

Customer:

Maybe the local vet would make a house call?

Scott Nimmo :

This varies from vet to vet, some sympathetic vets might prescribe something for you, other vets might follow the letter of the law and insist on checking her over { cont }

Scott Nimmo :

Arranging a house call would be a very good compromise, once Tat had been checked over you could just pick up a repeat prescription.

Customer:

How is the anti-arthritis medicine administered?

Scott Nimmo :

Most vets would be pleased to house visit under the circumstances ...

Scott Nimmo :

Some medicines are in tablet form but one of the best is a liquid which is just added to her food, only a few drops are required so most cats take it without problem. { It is called Metacam }

Customer:

She has only dried food, would that be a problem?

Scott Nimmo :

No, on my experience this will be fine with most cats, it is just such a small volume you see. Sometimes though you can just give them a small amount of canned food with the drug in it. Where cats have been on dry food they do tend to go for canned food, it is like a treat for them.

Customer:

OK Scott, I think that's enough information for now. Many thanks for your advice.

Hello again Sally,

Just a short note to thank you very much for the good rating and bonus, this is very much appreciated. I will get back in touch with you in a week or so to check on Tat's progress.

However in the meantime if you should receive any surveys related to my advice to you today then I would very much appreciate it if you could take the time to rate my performance further as this helps my standing on the site.

Kindest regards,

Scott

If I can ever advise you again at any future point then you can contact me directly via this link : http://www.justanswer.com/veterinary/expert-scottvet/
{ Please bookmark it }