Dr. Joey
Dr. Joey, Board Certified
Experience:  15 yrs in practice, specialist canine/feline medicine
20970409

my cat has been licking the base of his tail,, something burst

Customer Question

my cat has been licking the base of his tail,, something burst gushing puss and some blood, hes sleeping a lot and not eating
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 3 years ago.

Dr. Joey :

Hello I am Dr. Joey. Thanks for trusting me to help you and your pet today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 15 years of experience. I look forward to working with you.

Dr. Joey :

This sounds like Milly had an abscess or focal bacterial infection in her tail base area. This is one of the most common areas to find these abscesses. They usually occur secondary to animal fight trauma (cat fight, in particular, when a nail catches the cat on the run).

The first step is treatment is drainage, which it sounds like Millie has already facilitated. Once the area starts to drain, if she was experiencing a fever (and secondary lethargy or reduced appetite) then this will go away. The second step in treatment is an antibiotic, which is prescription and you need to get from your vet. Most typically she would need to be examined. Your vet may flush out the lesions, which helps it/them heal faster and then either administer an injection of an antibotic or dispense an oral antibiotic to treat.

Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 3 years ago.

You appear to be unavailable for a live chat or we are having a difficult time connecting. I am at a point I need to know what questions you have. We can continue our dialog in this setting.

I hope that the information I provided has been helpful.

Please remember to select REPLY TO EXPERT if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or were expecting a different type of answer.

My goal is to provide the best answer possible prior to you leaving a feedback rating.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

thank you for you reply,, milly has had a tin of food,, and water, has been outside, and is now sleepping,,he seems a lot happier, and is not licking his wound much..i will keep an eye on him and if any decline i will take him to the vet,,his nose is cold and wet,,,

Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 3 years ago.
This sounds fine. Sometimes these abscesses will heal once they rupture, but if it continues to be open or have drainage for more than 5 days, he really must be seen. This is good that he feels better now that it has ruptured.
Please keep me posted.