Dr. Dan
Dr. Dan, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  12 years of experience with domestic and exotic cats, PLEASE rate my service when satisfied.
17018043

Our cat seems to have trouble chewing. He intermittently puts

Our cat seems to have trouble chewing. He intermittently puts his head to one side (left)and chews like mad, it sounds almost as if his jaw is crunching. He used to love his food but now struggles to eat. We liquidise it often to encourage him. He also looks so miserable. The vet has had a good look in his mouth and can find nothing untoward. Cat is 14 and does have some arthritis in his shoulders and elbows.
What could be wrong with his mouth? He is going to have x ray's tomorrow.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Dan replied 3 years ago.
Hello!

Thank you for your question, I'm Dr. Dan and I'll try to help you.

With all the veterinary care and examination that has been performed I think he likely has a tooth root infection. Tooth pain in cats can often occur from the roots which is usually not visible at all from the outside even with a good look, it's only visible with an xray. With tooth root pain sometimes the strong prescription meds and acupuncture the pain is not cured without removal of the tooth. I think your vet is on the right track and sedated xrays of the mouth are really important. I expect an infected tooth will be seen on the xrays. I know it's frustrating but xrays are the most important next step.

I hope this helps, if not please feel free to ask more questions.
Dr. Dan