Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  I have been a practicing veterinarian for over 30 years.
60411192

Hi please help I have no means of transport or money until

Hi please help I have no means of transport or money until the morning as my partner works away. My female cat was sick several times last night, emptying her whole stomach contents, she had had different food last night as I had ran out yesterday, my cats are fed on science plan and raw meat, the science plan was the same but the raw meat was from pets at home rather than my normal delivery from the butchers. She suddenly became extramly lethargic and cuddly very quickly, where as normally I can not get near her, I have not even stoked her for over 2 weeks! We also have her brother who is the complete opposite, she just likes her own space and has been the same since we rescued them two years ago. She fell asleep in my arm for over an hour and apart from walking to the other side of the room twice today she hasnt moved off her bed she is also walking with a limp on her left hind leg. She has even let me wrap her up in a throw and she went straight to sleep (most unlike her) she has not eated anything since nor used the litter tray and I have not noticed her drink! And also both cats are house cats. I dont know what I can do for her, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated please. Many Thanks Laura
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 3 years ago.

Hello Laura, I'm Dr. Deb and I'll do my best to help you today.

I'm sorry that Beryl isn't feeling well.

I do have a few questions to ask about her first, if you don't mind:

1. Do you think you could take her temperature?
2. Can you tell me the color of her gums?
3. Is she painful when you press on her abdomen?
4. No diarrhea, correct?

There may be a slight delay after I receive your answers since I have to type up a response to you. Thanks for your patience. Deb

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

1. I just attempted but she dug her claws in so hard in my leg I let go and had to take it away, there is sertainly nothing wron with her claws! Im sorry im not great with things like that.

2. Her gums are extreamly pale, pretty much white.

3. Pressing both sides on her abdomen and she trys to get away although too weak to get to far now but dosnt cry in anyway.

4. No nothing, not seen her even wee.

Thanku.

Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 3 years ago.

Laura:
Thanks for the answers to my questions but I'm sorry that she didn't like having her temperature taken:( This is often very difficult to do in a cat (even for professionals) so please don't apologize; at least you tried which is more than most owners would do!

I find the color of her gums quite concerning though, if they really are white. Normal is pale pink and white usually denotes anemia which could explain her lethargy.
There are several different explanations for anemia including:
1.Increased destruction as would be seen with an auto immune disease (Autoimmune Hemolytic Anemia) which means the body is destroying red blood cells because they are recognized as "foreign". The spleen can be enlarged with this condition although it isn't always.
The treatment is usually high doses of steroids and would obviously have to be dispensed by a vet.

2. Increased sequestration which means that the red blood cells might be collecting in the spleen for some reason. This is often secondary to a cancerous process, unfortunately, such as lymphoma. Aspirates may or may not be diagnostic; usually a biopsy is better.

3. Decreased production such as a primary problem with the bone marrow. This is often associated with cancer, as well, I am sad to say, although Feline Leukemia can cause it too. It would take a bone marrow biopsy to confirm

4. Feline Infectious Anemia is caused by a mycoplasma infection and can cause her signs. Much less likely for indoor cats, though.

5. Viruses such as Feline Leukemia or Feline AIDS; either one of these viruses would have had to been contracted before you adopted her if she's been strictly an inside cat.

If she is anemic, then she really needs to be seen tomorrow by your vet but you may be able to help with her nausea.
Over the counter Famotidine can be given although it may be hard to find in the UK; dose would be 1/4th of a 10 mg tablet twice a day.
Another option would be Omeprazole at a dose of 1/4th to 1/2 of a 10 mg tablet once a day.

I wouldn't worry about trying to feed her since she's so nauseous; it's likely to just come back up. But you could dribble pedialyte into her mouth in several hours to keep up her hydration.

If her gums are really not as white as you might think (which I very much hope is the case), then she may be suffering from teh equivalent of food poisoning or raw food simply didn't agree with her. If that's the case, then symptomatic treatment (controlling her signs with fluids and anti-vomiting drugs) may be all that's needed for her to return to normal.

I'm not certain about her limping though...how this may be related. If she's running a fever, this might be seen. I've also seen a few anemic cats become lame for some reason which I can't really explain.

I hope this helps although I truly wish I had a more positive answer for you. But to be less than truthful and honest would be doing a disservice to both you and Beryl. I hope you understand.

Deb

Dr. Deb, Cat Veterinarian
Experience: I have been a practicing veterinarian for over 30 years.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you very much, planning on taking her to the vets as soon as my partner retuns home, would you be concerned about her not taking in any fluids?

Although my cats are house cats (thier choice) I have several other animals, dogs, rabbits, horses.

Last summer unfortunately we had a huge flea infestation in our home and no matter what I did and how much I spent weekly, I couldnt shift them completly, unfortunately there is a fox track and hole in my field which my dogs are in daily and understandably bring alsorts in. What a lovely thought!

I do hope I am wrong but have checked gums several times and they look white to me.

All our house animals have been on raw meat for 9-10 months and all have been beaming on it to be honest. But like I said it was a different type last night, im so gutted as my delivery was coming this morning and I cant help but feel that this has set somthing off. She has not been sick since 6 this morning (I dont think there is anything left).

Is it possible that this could have set something underlying off?

Im sorry to go on, im the biggest stress pot when it comes to my animals more so than my children. She may not be a friendly and certainly not a loving girl but that means nothin to me!

is there anything I can do for her in the mean time until I can reach a vets apart from keep her comfy and warm.

Thanku Laura

Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 3 years ago.
Laura:
Please don't apologize; I know how worried you are about your girl! I'm a little concerned about her gum color as well:(

I wouldn't be too worried about dehydration since she's only been ill for such a short period of time and she's still very young. However, if you wanted to dribble pedialyte into her mouth (if she'll let you, of course!), then this may help.

It's certainly possible that the change in food triggered an underying condition; I've seen this happen numerous times. Why or how it might have triggered some of the conditions I mentioned would be unclear. But vomiting can be seen in addition to lethargy with all of them so the food may not be related at all.

If she's no longer nauseous, then you may not need to give her any Famotidine or Omeprazole at this point.

But other than trying to keep her from becoming dehyrated, I wouldn't advise anything else, especially since cats are so sensitive to many drugs which might cause more harm...the last thing I'd want to do, obviously.
Deb
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No I would not want to add to any problems by giving her anything if I can help it.

Thanku very much for your advice I pretty much just needed someone to tell me that I am not going to lose her before I can reach the local practice.

Once agin thanku.

Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 3 years ago.

Laura:
You're more than welcome.

Please keep me posted about her after your vet visit. I'd very much like to know what your vet thinks may be the problem.

Even after you've rated (if you do, of course), we can still continue to communicate at no additional charge to you.

I'll be hoping for the best for her as I know you will be as well. Regards, Deb

Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 3 years ago.
Laura:
I just saw that you rated and wanted to thank you; it's greatly appreciated.

Deb