Dr. Joey
Dr. Joey, Board Certified
Experience:  15 yrs in practice, specialist canine/feline medicine
20970409

My little female cat was spayed about months ago shes just

Customer Question

My little female cat was spayed about months ago shes just over a year old, she has a skin condition and extreme hot spots, scatches and bites out fur like crazy i thought it was fleas treatedted all my pest and house for fleas i had another cat once with same condition,my vets had no answer for her its now happening in poor skunkie, i've gentlly bathed her in dilute tea tree shampoo to her disgust, bathing cools it for awhile i wonder is it hormonal as kitty the other cat i lost, had it happen once she hit about one year also, had cats all my life and this has happened twice now, i'm even cooking my own pet food meat fish in the last 10 days as an experiment to see if its from dried/tinned foods ,help. jayne.x oh just remembered to put she gets sweaty occasionally and it looks like excema or dermatitis

Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 3 years ago.

Dr. Joey :

Hello I am Dr. Joey. Thanks for trusting me to help you and your pet today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 15 years of experience. I look forward to working with you.

Dr. Joey :

This sounds concerning for such a young cat as SKunkie. To get oriented I need to confirm what your vet has already done: 1)Has your vet already done a skin scraping to look not only for mites, but also for bacteria/yeast? 2)Has your vet already done a fungal culture for ringworm (not a light test but actual culture)? 3)Have you done a trial with either (or both) a corticosteroid (like prednisolone) and an antibiotic (if so, any improvement)? and 4)Has your vet biopsied the skin (if so what did the results say)?

(thank you for taking a moment to answer my question and help me get oriented; as a side note if you can attach a picture using the paperclip icon, that might be very helpful)

Dr. Joey :

You do not appear to be online so I will make a few comments. First, I do not like tea tree oil and have found it can potentially worsen the itching; instead if you determine you must bathe her, then use oatmeal-based shampoo and cream rinse. Much more soothing. But overall, I do not know that bathing is going to help. These type of intensely itching lesions can often be eosinophilic granuloma lesions (if in large plaques) that are highly itchy (these are often allergy-related but determing the underlying cause can be tough; they will respond well to steroids) or severe infection (mites, bacteria, ringworm) or immune-mediated disease (like pemphigus). We must determine the cause and/or type of skin lesions in order for her to get some relief. My typical approach to this is to start with skin scraping to look for mites and bacteria/yeast. If nothing is found then I may recommend a trial with an antibiotic and a corticosteroid while awaiting the results of a fungal culture (to rule out ringworm). If there is no improvement or only minimal, then if the lesions are consistent with sarcoptic mange I might do a trial with treatment for this or if not, then I recommend a skin biopsy to find out exactly what is going on.

Dr. Joey :

As far as food goes, if this is a food allergy, then perhaps a home made diet will help and I have seen intense horrid lesions from food allergy. Usually for food allergy the lesions are on the head/face primarily. If she has lesions elsewhere then it becomes less likely, but certainly a balanced home-cooked diet can be useful (be sure to follow a recipe as balanced by a veterinary nutritionist such as can be found in Home Prepared Dog & Cat Diets by Strombeck, which can be found on AMazon).

Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 3 years ago.

You appear to be unavailable for a live chat or we are having a difficult time connecting. I am at a point I need to know what questions you have. We can continue our dialog in this setting.

I hope that the information I provided has been helpful.

Please remember to select REPLY TO EXPERT if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or were expecting a different type of answer.

My goal is to provide the best answer possible prior to you leaving a feedback rating.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi, i have a good vet but had been unable to get there since this flair up i'll avoid that tea tree and see if i can get her booked in my problem is agoraphobia so going out is my issue i love her so i'm going to have to get her there i'll call them now maybe they'll get her in tomorrow, and thank you so much for all you advice, my dog is very interested in washing this area on skunkie too, it has a slight aroma not strong not unlike warm bread

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

ok shes seeing the vet tomorrow afternoon, hope they can help her.

Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 3 years ago.
Perhaps, you can look for a mobile veterinarian in the future that can come to you? Some regular vets are willing to do housecalls as well, if asked (we just have to work into our schedules).

Please keep me posted. I am curious to know what your veterinarian thinks is going on.

Cheers,
Dr. Joey
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi, Skunkie has seen a vet she has dermatitis he believes flea allergy although i use frontline combi and i only ever find the odd one or 2 fleas on all 3 of my cats and dog who all get treated as well as house he says its other cats she is mixing with she does have a cat gang all neutered males he thinks shes picking up the odd flea from another cat/s,she has had an injection and within days its almost all gone,her skin is lovely again,i'm so glad i spoke to you and got her to my vet

Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 3 years ago.
I am so pleased to hear that she is doing well! This is wonderful. Keep me posted and let me know if you have any questions in the future.

Cheers,
Dr. Joey