Dr. Dan
Dr. Dan, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  12 years of experience with domestic and exotic cats, PLEASE rate my service when satisfied.
17018043

Hi my cat got hit by a car and broke her two legs and I think

Hi my cat got hit by a car and broke her two legs and I think pelvis and back.. She has since been put down I'm very sad to say. The vet said we could spend a fortune on her and she still may never be right again. Like someone I know has a cat that got mauled twice by dogs, had to get surgery and everything for 700 euro but its still alive today. What I want to know is regardless of money could anything have been done to fix my cat or was having her put down the only and best option
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Dan replied 3 years ago.
Hello!

Thank you for your question, I'm Dr. Dan and I'll try to help you.

I'm so sorry for the loss of your cat it's never easy but it's even worse when it's a tragic accident like this. Was your cat able to move it's legs after she was hit or were they limp and lifeless?

Dr. Dan
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hi Dan thanks it been a hard day, we've lost two great cats in two days, the other was sick I'd say because she lost a lot of weight. No not really like she seemed to have very slight reaction when the vet fiddled with her leg but nothing major. It wasn't until they X-rayd her that they saw the extent of the damage
Expert:  Dr. Dan replied 3 years ago.
Thanks for the information. If all she had was minimal reaction to fiddling then the decision to euthanize was the best. That indicates spinal cord damage which short of a miracle would no heal no matter how much money you had. Even if all she had was a broken toe nail and this back injury... the decision to euthanize was the right one. Spinal cord damage is not something we can fix yet... maybe someday... but not today.

Dr. Dan
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thanks Dan I might sleep better tonight. But just while your here how come my mates cat that got attacked by a dog, like ripped apart it seemed giving the scar along her side. How was that more fixable than what happened my cat
Expert:  Dr. Dan replied 3 years ago.
When it comes to severe bite wounds often the spine is not severed. If your cat's hips and legs were the only injury that would be diffeernt. So your friends cat may had horrible injuries but if the spinal cord is not damaged then time, and treatment can fix many things. It's the nerve damage to your cat that was the difference.

Dr. Dan
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Alright I see, so once the spinal chord is damaged then nought can be done. I'm glad I know that absolutely nothing could be done to save her, we'll miss her though. How does this site work for you guys, it's half two at night so do you stay up all night answering people's queries and not sleep!
Expert:  Dr. Dan replied 3 years ago.
That final question made me smile. I'm answering from across the "pond" right now so it's 8:25pm here in Wisconsin, USA. There are a couple dozen of us scattered throughout the world that can answer these questions from home when he have time and inclination, I can earn money for my debts and still be at home with my kids. It's convenient because I'm awake and functional even though it's a sleepless night for you. when I go do bed the UK or Aussie vets take over!

I'm sorry again for your 4-legged friend.
Dr. Dan
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Haha I was wondering lol, figured it was the uk you were in, I'm just across that pond in Ireland. Anyway thanks a million Dan if that's your first name. Pleasure to chat with you and all the best with your family and veterinary career. Who knows i may avail of your services again sometime. Have a great day,
Slán
(Irish for goodbye) :)
Expert:  Dr. Dan replied 3 years ago.
Yep I'm not creative I'm Dan, it was a pleasure to talk with you too!

Bye, American English for Goodbye. ;)

D