Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  I have been a practicing veterinarian for over 30 years.
60411192

Hi I am worried about my cat, he was in a fight with a stray

Hi I am worried about my cat, he was in a fight with a stray cat over a week ago. He had a bad paw and was walking on three legs,my in laws had been looking after him whilst i was away at work. He had stopped eating, but I managed to get him eating some fish and cat gourmet food upon my return, his coat was matted initially and he was stressed, bit moody, he took a turn for the better, was eating plenty and happy to go out. His fur stared to look better and he is walking on all 4 legs. its now about 2 weeks ago and all of a sudden he is sleeping lots and has not eaten much over the last 2 days, but this afternoon he has an upset tummy, not eating, i am concerned and cannot get him to a vets till Monday morning. any advice you have would be appreciated.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 3 years ago.

Hello Hayley, I'm Dr. Deb:

I recently came online and see that your question about Bob hasn't been answered. I'm so sorry that you've had to wait for a response,but if you still need assistance, I'd like to help if I can.

I do have a few questions to ask first, if you don't mind:

1. Can you tell me the color of Bob's gums?
2. Can you take his temperature?
3. Is he urinating normally?
4. Is he painful when you press on his abdomen?

There may be a delay after I receive your answers since I have to type up a response to you and I may be offline at the time you respond. But I'll get back to you as soon as I can.

Thanks for your patience. Deb

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I am not able to take his tempearture. He had an upset tummy yesterday but is ok today. He is not paintpful when we touch his abodomen. He is eating today and in better spirits.Some of the gum is pink but then on pne part it looks brown/black.

Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 3 years ago.
Hayley:
Thanks for the answers to my questions although I'm sorry that I was offline when you responded back to me.

Gum color sounds normal which is good as is the fact that he's not painful.
I understand about taking his temperature which isn't always the easiest thing to do in a cat.

When it comes to vomiting in a cat, it doesn't take much to trigger this reflex in this species. Unless it persists or there are other signs such as lethargy or disinterest in food, then I don't tend to worry about it too much.
But if other signs are present, there could be several differentn explanations for all of these symptoms ranging from viral or bacterial infections to dietary indiscretion to foreign bodies, to pancreatitis to inability to urinate, etc.

The fact that he hasn't vomited today is a very good sign as is the fact that he's eating.
He may have had something similar to the 24 hour flu in a person.

On the off chance that he might still continue to feel a little nauseous, you can safely give him over teh counter Famotidine(Pepcid AC) although this may be difficult to find in the UK. The dose would be 1/4th of a 10 mg tablet twice a day.
Another option would be Omeprazole (Prilosec) at a dose of 1/4th of a 10 mg tablet once a day.

I migth also offer him boiled chicken or human baby food (avoid those with onion or garlic in them) if his appetite still seems off.

I hope this helps and provides additional options for you to consider if he's not quite 100% just yet. Again, my apologies for the delayed response. Deb
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 3 years ago.
Hayley:
Thanks for the rating; it's greatly appreciated.

I hope that Bob continues to do well. Best regards, Deb