Dr. Susan
Dr. Susan, Veterinarian
Experience:  8 years of clinical experience with specialty in veterinary pain management, urology, and geriatrics
25524280

My 13 year old cat is drinking a lot more water last 2 months.We

My 13 year old cat is drinking a lot more water last 2 months.We took her to vet last year and they checked kidneys and blood. Thought she was a little overweight so we put her on Hills diet for 2 months. This was just dry food. Think weight has dropped but could be why she is drinking more so we have switched her back to some wet food...some incidents of urinating in house where she never did before, what should we do?
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Susan replied 3 years ago.

Dr. Susan :

Hi, I can help you with your question today.

Dr. Susan :

When did Angel have her blood tested last year?

Customer:

December 2013

Dr. Susan :

OK. The signs that you are seeing are suspicious for kidney disease, diabetes, and hyperthyroidism.

Dr. Susan :

I am surprised that there were no signs of any of this on the blood work.

Dr. Susan :

Occasionally a cat will drink and urinate a large amount just from a urinary tract infection, but

Dr. Susan :

usually those kitties drink a normal amount of water, and pee very small amounts frequently.

Dr. Susan :

Do you happen to have a copy of the blood work results?

Customer:

Yes : Comprehensive blood profile and health screen done. Blood count and differential and electrolyte levels.Also urinalysis dipstick

Dr. Susan :

Great! If I could see a copy of the results, that would really help.

Customer:

I think what I have is just a bill which lists tests done not actual results sorry

Dr. Susan :

OK. Well, I would be happy to take a look at the actual results if you get a copy of them from your vet. Otherwise, I do recommend having her rechecked. I realize that the last blood work was done quite recently,

Dr. Susan :

but that was when she was normal. Now that she is having this problem, hopefully her blood work will reflect that so we can diagnose her disease.

Customer:

She was drinking a lot before we took her to the vets last year, thats why we initially went

Dr. Susan :

I see. Urinating in the house can be a behavioral issue, but since she is drinking more I think this is a true medical problem.

Dr. Susan :

Has she had any episodes of vomiting or loose stool?

Customer:

No not in the house or outside that i am aware of

Dr. Susan :

Is her appetite still good?

Customer:

Yes appetite good and movement agile.No obvious signs of discomfort. We have left her a lone recently for a couple of nights with our neighbours coming in to feed I did wonder whether it might have effected her.

Dr. Susan :

I don't think the change in routine would cause the issues you are seeing.

Dr. Susan :

Does her appetite seem any more than usual?

Customer:

She seemed overjoyed to be back on some wet food but otherwise appetite normal

Dr. Susan :

Well, since her appetite is still good, I'm less inclined to think this is kidney disease. Those animals generally feel nauseous from the toxin build up in the blood stream.

Dr. Susan :

I do think diabetes and hyperthyroidism are both reasonable possibilities here. Do you think you could get a copy of the results from December for me to look at this week?

Customer:

Possibly I will check with vets tomorrow.Thanks for your help

Dr. Susan :

You're welcome! I'll look for your posting!

Dr. Susan, Veterinarian
Experience: 8 years of clinical experience with specialty in veterinary pain management, urology, and geriatrics