Dr Scott Nimmo
Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinary Surgeon.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

My 11 year old Bengal cat has had very small scabs and some

Customer Question

My 11 year old Bengal cat has had very small scabs and some tiny specks of black under his chin off and on for about 2 months He doesn't scratch them and is treated with Fipronil every month but they are still there. The rest of his coat looks clean and healthy. I initially thought they were cat food sticking to his chin but on closer investigation realised this wasn't the case. Please can you advise. Many thanks nona Rushbrook
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 3 years ago.

Scott Nimmo :

Hello and welcome. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am an experienced small animal veterinary surgeon, I will be very pleased to work with you today and will try my best to answer your question to your satisfaction.

Scott Nimmo :

Full Size Image

Scott Nimmo :

Does it look a bit like this ?

Customer: Yes but he has bigger marks a well. Shall I send you a photo?
Scott Nimmo :

Well I think I know what we are dealing with, please send the photo though ...

Scott Nimmo :

I will send a bit of info while we are waiting for your photo ...

Customer: Hi my name isXXXXX owner for forty years! Yes it does sometimes but several larger marks and one or two scabs. I can send a photo
Scott Nimmo :

I wonder if we are not dealing with a disease called cat acne ...

Scott Nimmo :

Cat acne is not a serious disease and does not bother the cats much but it is unsightly sometimes.

Scott Nimmo :

My usual treatment approach would be :

Scott Nimmo :

1. Mild cases require no treatment except perhaps a cleansing shampoo, apply this with a soft nail brush, do not hurt the cat of course but be quite vigorous with it. A suitable wash would be dilute hibiscrub diluted 1 : 4 . { this is an over the counter product } Do this daily until you start to see a response and then gradually tail it off.

2. More severe cases would benefit from an antibacterial/anti-malassezia wash twice a week, a suitable product I have used would Malaseb, this is a prescription product.

3. Some severe cases should be on antibiotics, perhaps long term like human acne sufferers. I tend to prescribe oxytet 50 mg one twice a day, initially for a week but I have used it for up to six weeks at a time.

Scott Nimmo :

Cat acne is a condition which responds well to treatment as long as you are persistent but recurrence is likely in some cases.

Customer: Ok can I email hitherto photo if so what address? His chin is normally cream! The scabs bleed if picked at
Customer: I have hibiscrub and malaseb ( I think I have had this for treating ring worm on horses )
Scott Nimmo :

Can you post the link to the photo here? At present I am not allowed to e-mail you. It's great you already have hibiscrub and malaseb though.

Customer: Ok I'll try
Customer: iPad won't give me that option. But the skin has darkened and he seems to have larger marks (scars?)
Scott Nimmo :

feline acne
Full Size Image

Scott Nimmo :

More like this one?

Customer: Might be handy to set up a general email service for the online practice which could be filtered and passed on to appropriate vet as needed Like a customer services email address
Scott Nimmo :

Full Size Image

Customer: Yes though he has the tiny black bits along his jaw as well
Scott Nimmo :

I agree that would be very handy, in fact it is scheduled to start sometime over the next two weeks

Customer: Not so dark but more discoloured one side than the other with darker patches
Scott Nimmo :

Full Size Image

Scott Nimmo :

It is actually quite a variable disease in appearance and it can com eand go abit as well

Customer: Not as bad or dark as the last image
Scott Nimmo :

Most skin lesions in the chin area of cats end up with a cat acne diagnosis ...

Customer: Ok seems likely then. His appearance is More like the second image
Customer: I'll give hibiscrub a go first and save malaseb for later if it doesn't improve
Customer: many thanks
Scott Nimmo :

Have a go with the hibiscrub and malaseb, I bet it makes a difference and in any case there is little chance of this making things worse ...

Scott Nimmo :

No problem, glad to have advised you ...

Customer: That's what I hoped but having lost a cat last week to months long disease I was reluctant to take this one to the vet as he is a bit traumatised anxious and lonely at present. Many thanks
Hello again ,

Just a short note to thank you very much for the good rating, this is very much appreciated. I will get back in touch with you in a couple of weeks to check on your cat's progress, and I should also be about for the next couple of hours so get straight back to me if things change and you want to talk things over further.

However in the meantime if you should receive any surveys related to my advice to you today then I would very much appreciate it if you could take the time to rate my performance further as this helps my standing on the site.

Kindest regards,

Scott

If I can ever advise you again at any future point then you can contact me directly via this link : http://www.justanswer.com/veterinary/expert-scottvet/
{ Please bookmark it }