Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience treating cats in my practice.
16881297

My neutered male cat 5 years old, went outside 2 nights ago,

Customer Question

My neutered male cat 5 years old, went outside 2 nights ago, at 2.30 am I heard a noise (a growling as if he was fighting), so went and got him in, there was nothing I could see outside, I have no neighbours and havent seen any other cats around, but Im surrounded by fields and a main road to the front of the house. He came in his fur was all puffed up, with tufts loose, with grit and dirt in it and his 3rd eyelids were across and seemed quiet in himself except an excessive purring he was doing. There was no lameness/wounds to be seen, but his bottom was wet, sticky and smelly-his anal glands? The next morning he seemed fine. I got home from work and seemed as if he had been incontinet, faecally and urinary-never done this before. The faeces was formed and one piece found in three seperate areas, nowhere near his litter tray, and urine on the door mat. I called my vet, who said keep an eye on him. Today he has diarrhoea (most of it in his tray) but seems ok, I let him out again after bathing his bottom. When he came in he was wet around his bottom again with some blood. He is a very difficult cat to examine by myself, but I can't seen any obvious wounds. He is eating, seems a little quiet and is excessively licking his back end, his ears seem warm but did not enjoy it when I tried to take a rectal temperature so the thermometre hadnt finished reading but went up to 38.5oc. Do i treat this as gastrointestinal diarrhoea and put him on bland food and see. Or do I take him to the vet for examination? I also have another cat who since this incident has been acting aggressively towards him.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 3 years ago.

Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

Oh my! Poor Murray! He has been frightened by something that has caused severe stress causing this digestive disturbance. This is treated by following these instructions:

Fast Murray for 12-24 hrs to allow the digestive tract to calm down and heal.

Give Murray Pepcid AC or Famotidine at 0.5 mg per pound every 8 hrs. That can be purchased over the counter at the pharmacy.

Give only small amounts of water during the fast or ice cubes

After the fast, feed rice and boiled chicken (2/1)

Wean Murray back to his regular diet. This blood you see is due to this digestive issue and will resolve once this issue resolves. I would also recommend purchasing Feliway at the pet store. This is a feline pheromone that acts as a calming agent and will help poor frightened Murray past this. Your other cat sees Murray as a foriegn cat because of this stress. This will pass.

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.

Sincerely, XXXXX XXXXX

Thank you so much, Donna, for your kind rating. It is very much appreciated! Even though you have rated, we can still communicate. If you have other questions, please Reply. I am always happy to help. I will send you a follow up in a few days to see how Murray is doing and if I can answer any other questions.

Have a wonderful day!