Rebecca
Rebecca, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian for more than 30 years
11877925

Hello, A few months ago, my cat kept being sick (once or twice

Customer Question

A few months ago, my cat kept being sick (once or twice a day). I tried loads of things, but thought I had narrowed it down to the biscuits I was feeding him.

After changing his biscuits from GoCat to Whiskas, the problem seemed to stop after a day or two, and he has been fine for about two months.

This week however he has started this vomiting again, normally (but not always) when I am not in the house.

I was just wondering if it is normal for cats to go through these stages of being sick, and if not if you have any other ideas which could be causing the problem.
I do not believe he is getting access to anything he shouldn't be (he is a house cat and rarely goes out unless the weather is nice, and any chemicals etc are kept in cupboards), but apart from being frustrating as I have to keep cleaning it up, I am also worried that there is something actually wrong with him.

I have had him for about 4 years now, and apart from the odd vomiting, he has never had anything like this regular vomiting which he seems to have started in the last 6 months or so.

The vomit varies is consistency, usually between a thick paste to a watery consistency, but there is never really any proper lumps in it (like he had just eaten food then thrown it straight back up again).

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Grant
Category: Cat
Expert:  Rebecca replied 2 years ago.
I am sorry to hear you are worried about McFluff.

My name is Rebecca. I am a veterinarian, and will do my best to help.

It is not normal for a cat to vomit like this. There are literally dozens, if not a hundred reasons that cats vomit. Cat vomit with stomach/intestinal disease; pancreatic, liver and kidney disease; heart disease; skin diseases; parasites, infections, and inflammatory diseases. Fortunately, many are not serious.

If he is not losing weight, not having diarrhea, still has an appetite, and is drinking water normally (not excessively), then this may not be serious.

You can start with something simple. You can try changing his food again ( but I would read the list of ingredients carefully to be sure you are switching him to something new; just changing brands of food may not change what he is actually eating) and try an over the counter vomiting medication called famotidine. A cat can take 1/4 of a 10 mg pill, twice daily.

If he is losing weight, or his appetite is diminished, I would have him examined by his veterinarian to begin to narrow down the possibilities. If you look at his gums, they should be a normal bright pink (unless they are pigmented). If his gums look pale at all, I would have him checked out.

Please let me know what else I can answer, or help with.

Rebecca

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

thanks for your help. He hasn't lost his appetite/weight and his gums are a normal colour so will try that vomiting medication you suggested.

Would I be able to get that from somewhere like pets at home or would I need to actually go to a vets to purchase it over the counter?

Expert:  Rebecca replied 2 years ago.
Here in the US, famotidine can be purchased over the counter with out a prescription; it is made for people. One brand name isXXXXX You should be able to find it at a chemist's or drug store.

Let me know what else I can answer, or help with.

Rebecca
Rebecca, Cat Veterinarian
Experience: Veterinarian for more than 30 years
Expert:  Rebecca replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for the great rating!

Rebecca
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hello again,

just an update on the cat being sick situation (in case you get a similar thing in future).

I strongly believe that the sickness was being cased by an additive or something else in the Whiskas wet cat food (sachets) I was feeding him (this applies to all flavours, not just a specific one)

His whiskas ran out, and he has been fed kite-kat sachets instead this week and hadn't been sick all week.

As a test (and this might sound harsh but I think it confirms the issue) I fed McFluff a pouch of Whiskas last night, and when I came home again today, the vomit was back.

Just thought you might like to know in case you get another person with a similar problem in future.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 2 years ago.
Grant,
Thank you for the update. I am glad you found the problem!

By sachets, you mean the regular canned food?

Rebecca
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No. It's the 100g foil packets rather than actual canned food - although it is probably just the same stuff just in 1 portion servings.
Expert:  Rebecca replied 2 years ago.
I am not familiar with those and will not feed them to my cat!

You should consider reporting this; if enough reports are made, then there could be a recall if there is something tainted in the product. There is probably a phone number on the product, if you still have it.

Rebecca