Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of experience in small animal internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

My cat developed a small lump in her stomach a couple of weeks

My cat developed a small lump in her stomach a couple of weeks ago. We wanted to wait and see as she is always getting into something. Last couple of days she is drinking so much to the point of stepping into the dogs drinking bowl! The lump has also just quadrupled in size to the size of a tennis ball and also both sides. Its Sunday tomorrow but if this if Kidneys I am worried about her just killing over...please advise
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name isXXXXX am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- Is the lump below or above the skin?
2- Is the lump near or on a mammary gland?
3- Is she spayed?

There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Below the skin...feels deep in her stomach

No, it feels deep and either side slifhtly

Yes she is spayed

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
Stephen, as you have suspected it is very possible she is drinking more than usual as a result of kidney disease. However, there are many other conditions that can also cause an increase in water intake. Other possible causes are: Diabetes, infections and even cancer (tumors). Having a history of a lump on her stomach the lump could be the cause of her increase in water consumption, it could be a tumor or an abscess (infection).
In this case unfortunately there is not much I can recommend for you to try at home that would have any significant therapeutic benefit. She is going to need a blood test and FNA (fine needle aspirate) of the lump to determine the exact underlying cause. Treatment will be based on test results. I would highly recommend if you have access to ER veterinarian to have her checked tonight. Most of the above mentioned diseases can be fatal if not treated early. I realize that this answer may not be entirely to your liking, and I regret being the bearer of information that you really don’t want to hear. But it would be unfair to you and unprofessional of me were I to provide you with anything less than truthful and honest information. I hope you understand.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back. I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter

Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience: 16 years of experience in small animal internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you Dr Peter

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
You're welcome.