Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  I have been a practicing veterinarian for over 30 years.
60411192

My 11 year old cat had dental work done 2 days ago and he cant

My 11 year old cat had dental work done 2 days ago and he can't meow. He is eating and moving normally but when he tries to meow no sound comes out.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 3 years ago.

Hello Marley, I'm Dr. Deb. I'll do my best to help you today.

I'm sorry for this concern for Salem; I can understand why you might be worried about him.

It sounds like he may be suffering from laryngitis which is either going to be a primary condition or secondary to something else (the more common of the two).
Any irritation to the throat which might cause inflammation and/or swelling of the structures in the back of the throat could be responsible. Since he just had a dental and if an endotrachael tube was inserted into his throat, then this could be enough to cause this problem.
Other common explanations for laryngitis in a cat include: infections such as Upper Respiratory Infections (aka Feline Flu), ingestion of irritating substances (such as grass), inhalation of irritating vapors/

Since he's not showing other symptoms such as lethargy or disinterest in food or difficulty breathing, then a recheck at this time is not necessary. I would just monitor the situation; his voice should return in about a week or so.

I might feed very soft food so that the throat doesn't become more irritated, though
.

I hope this helps and provides reassurance. Deb

Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 3 years ago.

Marley:
Thanks for the rating; it's greatly appreciated.

Good luck with Salem; I hope he's talking to you again very soon:) Regards, Deb

.