Dr. Ann M.
Dr. Ann M., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  ER and general medicine Veterinarian since 2005
15015521

My elderly cat has become thin and her fur is very matted at

Customer Question

My elderly cat has become thin and her fur is very matted at the back, but taking her to the vet is a major trauma! Am i neglecting her or is she just getting old and frail like the rest of us?
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Ann M. replied 3 years ago.
Hi there and thank you for your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am a licensed veterinarian and I would be happy to assist you.

Age is not a disease, and the only reason that a cat would get thin and stop grooming herself is if she has a disease process going on. The most common causes of weight loss in older cats are hyperthyroidism (very treatable), kidney disease (manageable), heart disease (harder to treat but manageable), and cancer (not very treatable because most people won't do chemotherapy or radiation on a 15 year old cat). Even though a trip to the vet is traumatic, it is necessary to diagnose the problem and see if it is treatable. If she has hyperthyroidism, a simple daily medication can allow her to regain her weight, start grooming herself again, and return to acting like her usual self. I recommend seeing your vet for an exam and blood work to see if this is something treatable. Without knowing the cause, there is not much you can do at home. Coaxing her to eat more will not help her gain weight if there is a disease that is causing her to be thin.

I hope that I have answered your question thoroughly... if you feel that I have provided anything less than excellent service, please reply to me first before rating my service and let me know how I can better assist you. Thank you for your question; it has been a pleasure being able to provide assistance. Best of luck.
I see that you have only rated my service as being "ok". My goal is 100% satisfaction... can you tell me how I might assist you further?