Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  I have been a practicing veterinarian for over 30 years.
60411192

My cat ate the paper found between the meat and the packaging,

My cat ate the paper found between the meat and the packaging, the paper- like material used to soak up the meat. This was a few days ago, and I'm just wondering if it can be harmful. I guess I'm worried about an obstruction, as I have not seen any signs of it in the litter tray.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 3 years ago.

Hello Mary, I'm Dr. Deb and I'll do my best to help you today.

I can understand your concern about Giselle. I can reassure you the paper itself wouldn't be toxic but the possibility of an obstruction is always a worry in these situations.

But the fact that she's not vomiting, that she's eating, that she's not lethargic and that she has no abdominal pain (she's acting normally in other words) would indicate that this material has not become lodged in either her stomach or her intestines.
Transit time is usually about 24-36 hours for such objects so she may well have passed it outdoors.

I have seen a few cases where the offending material which was ingested remained in the stomach for a few days before signs were seen. So, even though it would appear that she's out of the woods, I wouldn't feel completely safe assuming so until a few more days have passed.

Even if you were to have her seen at this time by your vet and an x-ray were taken, it's not likely to be helpful since this material will not be visible.

I would continue to monitor her for signs which I mentioned above; if she starts to show any of them, then I'd have her seen.

I hope this helps to provide a measure of reassurance. More than likely, she's going to be fine. Deb