Dr. Maggie
Dr. Maggie, Veterinarian
Experience:  Small Animal Veterinarian, General Practitioner
63244966

cat constantly crying, lifting rear end , arching back and

Customer Question

cat constantly crying, lifting rear end , arching back and paddling back feet, her ears and nose are hot. She has not eaten today but is drinking.
She is a 5 month old kitten
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Maggie replied 3 years ago.
Hi, this is Dr. Maggie - I am going to try to answer your question today, first I need a little more information:

1.) Any chance Lily is in heat? (I assume she isn't spayed?)

2.) Did the vet tell you if she had a fever at all?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

the fever has only come on tonight, I asked the vet if she could be on heat she didn't think so said she is a little young

Thanks for the additional information. I have just two more quick questions and then I will answer your question for you:

1.) Is there any way you can get a rectal temperature on her at all? (Warm ears/nose is not always that predictable as far as temperature is concerned.)

2.) Are you certain she is 5 months old? How long have you had her for?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX hold of her vet, it looks like she has the symptoms of coming into season

Thanks for the information.

That is certainly what I was suspecting. Amazingly cats can come into heat very soon (often as early as 6 months of age).

Interestingly, cats are induced ovulators. Therefore until she is bred she will continue arching her back, crying, etc for her entire cycle. Your vet can 'induce her ovulation' simply by using a q-tip or thermometer to stimulate her if you are anxious to have peace in your home.

Please let me know if you have any additional concerns and I would be happy to assist you further. - Dr. Maggie
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you but I thought the response took a little to long. I rang my own vet and got help before u got back to me

Not a problem, I am glad you got an answer to your question.

Thanks for using Just Answer.